Monday 30 May final film - You Decide!

John Harvey

Apr 12, 2022, 4:59:28 AM4/12/22
to Robert Burns Centre Film Club

Hi,

as mentioned last night we thought we'd open this one up to you all (plus I'll give the other Monday regulars a chance to vote on this too).

We have 4 (possibly 5, see caveat below) films lined up - can you rank them in order of preference? Where the films have been released (Compartment No. 6, The Novice, Small Body, the reviews have been excellent all round).

Compartment No. 6

A Finnish student and an uncouth miner slowly forge a hesitant connection when they're thrown together in cramped train quarters on a journey across Russia.

Wild Men

In a desperate attempt to cure his midlife crisis, Martin has fled his family to live high up in the Norwegian mountains. There, he meets Musa, a hash smuggler, who is injured after a car accident. A series of events, the pair are sent fleeing across the Norwegian mountains, pursued by the police, Musa's rivals and Martin's wife.

The Novice

A college freshman joins her university's rowing team and undertakes an obsessive physical and psychological journey to make it to the top varsity boat, no matter the cost.

Small Body

A grief-stricken young woman leaves her seaside village behind to try and free her stillborn baby’s soul, setting out on a perilous journey to a remote mountain sanctuary where she holds faith in a miracle.

Vortex (There’s a possibility May 30 might to early to show this, tbc)

Debuting to widespread acclaim at Cannes 2021, Vortex is a departure from Gaspar Noé's previous films but no less daring and innovative. Starring Dario Argento and Françoise Lebrun as an elderly couple spending their days in a cramped Paris apartment, Noé presents the film entirely in split-screen, portraying the couple going about their lives while the wife slowly slips into dementia. A powerful and personal exploration of aging that lingers long in the memory, VORTEX is an outstanding new film from a remarkable filmmaker.

Bearing in mind it's quite a commitment -- and If there's sufficient interest -- how about  a Monday Night Film Club in June, July, and August where it's just one screening per month?

Thanks,

John

annebarc

Apr 12, 2022, 11:28:02 AM4/12/22
to talk-...@googlegroups.com
Compartment No6 please as a first choice, and Wild men as 2nd choice - in fact the list is conveniently organised in my preferred oder :)

A monthly summer film club would be great- helps differentiate between days of the week!

Anne

Alexander Barclay

Apr 12, 2022, 6:45:43 PM4/12/22
to talk-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John

Have  seen a review of Compartment  No. 6 and Anne and I would really like to see the film. Not checked out the others as yet, so no further comments.

Alec

John Harvey

Apr 13, 2022, 5:01:57 AM4/13/22
to Robert Burns Centre Film Club
Hi,

thanks for the comments. Will confirm the choice soon-ish!

Cheers,

John