OpenLaszlo and W3C widgets

Raju Bitter

Jul 17, 2010, 11:40:01 AM7/17/10
to Talk about Widgets
I've launched a project to provide tools for deploying existing
OpenLaszlo based rich Internet applications as W3C widgets (http://
www.mobileopenlaszlo.org). OpenLaszlo (http://www.openlaszlo.org) is
one of the leading open source RIA platforms, capable of generating
both HTML5 and SWF10 apps out of the same source code. Some of the
first widgets I've seen have been built with OpenLaszlo as early as
2003/2004.

A first proof-of-concept has been done, using an the existing
OpenLaszlo weather widget, which you can find here:
http://www.openlaszlo.org/showcase#Weather

Here's a screencast showing the app being compiled into a W3C/Opera
widget using a simple Ant script. That will work for any OpenLaszlo
app running being compiled to HTML5/DHTML.
http://vimeo.com/13090611

Raju Bitter

Jul 17, 2010, 12:03:44 PM7/17/10
to Talk about Widgets
I'm currently looking for a good W3C widget runtime for Android
devices, to see how easy it would be to run the generated widgets on a
phone. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Raju

On Jul 17, 5:40 pm, Raju Bitter <r.bitter.mailingli...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> I've launched a project to provide tools for deploying existing
> OpenLaszlo based rich Internet applications as W3C widgets (http://www.mobileopenlaszlo.org). OpenLaszlo (http://www.openlaszlo.org) is

Dan Brickley

Jul 17, 2010, 12:19:22 PM7/17/10
to talk-abou...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Raju Bitter
<r.bitter.m...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently looking for a good W3C widget runtime for Android
> devices, to see how easy it would be to run the generated widgets on a
> phone. Do you have any recommendations?

The closest I can think of is PhoneGap, although that's not very close
in that it doesn't handle the W3C Widget specs specifically; however
it will generate an Android app from an index.html ... so perhaps with
a bit of pre-processing it could be useful here?

BTW nice work :)

Dan

Raju Bitter

Jul 17, 2010, 12:26:08 PM7/17/10
to talk-abou...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Dan. That's what I guessed. I've built a PhoneGap demo
already, it's a different application but works well:
http://vimeo.com/13332562

Maybe it would make sense to built a custom version of PhoneGap,
providing the W3C widget APIs to an embedded widget.

Scott Wilson

Jul 17, 2010, 1:42:33 PM7/17/10
to talk-abou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raju,

This sounds great work - thanks for sharing it!

The best W3C Widget runtime for Android would seem to be Aplix:

http://wiki.webvm.net/wrtc/

However, it isn't (yet?) open source, so you'd need to get in touch with them to see if you could get access to a test environment.

Also - would the solution you've worked on also enable OpenLaszlo widgets to be deployed using Apache Wookie?

Cheers,

Raju Bitter

Jul 17, 2010, 2:37:49 PM7/17/10
to talk-abou...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Scott! I'm going to do test run with Apache Wookie next week.
I've looked into the docs and the presentations available last week,
and I'm curious myself.

Wookie is a very promising project. I'll keep you updated with my
testing results.

Cheers,
Raju

Raju Bitter

Jul 21, 2010, 4:17:13 AM7/21/10
to talk-abou...@googlegroups.com
Dan, I saw that there is the repository for phonegap-bondi at Github.
I'll try to find out if that means there is a PhoneGap based
implementation of the Bondi API available. That might be a good
starting point to extend it to full W3C widget support.
http://github.com/phonegap-bondi

- Raju

Raju Bitter

Jul 21, 2010, 8:51:44 AM7/21/10
to talk-abou...@googlegroups.com
@Scott: I've tested deployment of the generated widget with Apache
Wookie. I can deploy the widget - had to modify my build script to
generate a W3C compatible config.xml instead of the Opera version
though. The widget cannot communicate with the Yahoo weather API
service though, probably a security setting. I'll investigate what's
causing that and post the results here.

- Raju