Re: [FI] Pro-child video?

Elliot Temple

Jan 29, 2014, 1:10:57 PM1/29/14
to FI, FIGG, TCS

On Jan 28, 2014, at 1:44 PM, Anon Too <ano...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://youtu.be/AfuHSJqqgAo
> (21st Century girl by Willow Smith)
>
> I thought this video pretty cool, pro-child and roarkian, but I guess the original intention of the artist was just to make a girl-power video, since only girls are present in it.
>
> Anyway, I think it can also be interpret as being pro-child given the following lines:
>
>> I am a rebel but I do it with class
>> I set the boundaries
>> The rules don't own me
>> I'm living life on the edge
>> I choose my path
>
> It's a shame that in the 21st century kids doing what they like is still considered being a rebel and living on the edge instead of living normally like any other individual. Maybe that will be fixed in the 22nd century.

The video has fooled you.

The video begins by attributing functional importance to some of the pretty-but-useless things girls (esp little girls) stereotypically have and like.

It goes on to emphasize irresponsibility, rocking the beat, and gender mattering (21st century GIRL).

When it talks about being the kind of chick that knocks you off your feet, and taking you for a ride, it means she's the kind of female who appeals to males. It also mentions gold, diamonds and beauty positively.

Stuff like this is propagandized as living it up and taking over the world.

It has 31 million views because it's pretty much pure conventional evil, pandering very carefully to a few popular trends. And it brands this conformity as "I am a rebel but..."

-- Elliot Temple
http://fallibleideas.com/