Re: [TCS] the "logic" of spanking

Justin Mallone

Mar 19, 2014, 10:38:01 PM3/19/14
to taking-child...@googlegroups.com, FI, FIGG

On Mar 8, 2011, at 2:52 AM, Jordan Talcot <jordan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2011-03-07, at 2:02 AM, Elliot Temple wrote:
>
>> http://rebirthofreason.com/Forum/PollDiscussions/0223.shtml
>>
>>> I was spanked (caned, actually, with a yard stick), but seriously doubt it had any kind of positive effect on me, other than installing a fear of getting spanked. I had no idea what might or might not bring on a spanking, because I was a little, inexperienced kid!
>>
>> How is one supposed to learn from (as far as he can tell) *random* beatings?
>>

> Parents don't realize that children often don't listen simply because they don't *understand* the rules.
>
> People don't appreciate that things actually need to be *learned* and that that is work. They don't know the difference between being able to say the words and understanding the concept.

Violent punishment over rules one does not understand and which no one has bothered to meaningfully explain seems like a case in which "basic human rights" are not being respected.

Elliot Temple

Nov 25, 2015, 12:33:50 AM11/25/15
to TCS, FI, FIGG

On Mar 7, 2011, at 11:52 PM, Jordan Talcot <jordan...@gmail.com> wrote to TCS:

> On 2011-03-07, at 2:02 AM, Elliot Temple wrote:
>
>> http://rebirthofreason.com/Forum/PollDiscussions/0223.shtml
>>
>>> I was spanked (caned, actually, with a yard stick), but seriously doubt it had any kind of positive effect on me, other than installing a fear of getting spanked. I had no idea what might or might not bring on a spanking, because I was a little, inexperienced kid!
>>
>> How is one supposed to learn from (as far as he can tell) *random* beatings?
>>

> Parents don't realize that children often don't listen simply because they don't *understand* the rules.
>
> People don't appreciate that things actually need to be *learned* and that that is work. They don't know the difference between being able to say the words and understanding the concept.

This comes up on FI too. Some people can say some FI philosophy words/phrases, but don't understand the concepts that well, and can't use it in life very well. Another issue that comes up is people's inability to adapt something to other scenarios well (besides the ones that have already been posted about).

This is also related to people who can't come up with examples, or can't think of more to say on a topic. The main thing going on there is lack of understanding.

Elliot Temple
www.fallibleideas.com
www.curi.us