Re: [TCS] Hello quick introduction

Message has been deleted

Elliot Temple

Nov 27, 2015, 1:51:17 AM11/27/15
to TCS

On Nov 26, 2015, at 8:31 PM, Jayla Carson <gido...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone out there. I found this list on my quest to become a gentle parent, I'm mommy to an eight month old.
> I'm hoping this list is still active and willing to accept a new parent, who's trying to learn more and be better.

Hi. What do you think TCS is about? Have you read any TCS material? Are there some parts you like?

One aspect of TCS you may find unusual is that it's a *philosophy*. Other approaches to parenting are different. They're all more like ad hoc rationalizations for thwarting children.

Elliot Temple
www.fallibleideas.com
www.curi.us

Message has been deleted

Elliot Temple

Nov 27, 2015, 12:03:40 PM11/27/15
to TCS

On Nov 27, 2015, at 7:31 AM, Jayla Carson <gido...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for responding! I have spent some time perusing the articles on takingchildrenseriously.com
> I have to say one of the things I like most about TCS is the fact that it isn't a parenting "plan" to sell stuff, food, toys and equipment to parents or whatever else.
> What most appeals to me about TCS is the idea that we can let our children learn through their own experiences, without imposing our beliefs (and our hang ups) on them.
> I was raised by a malignantly narcissistic mother, so I think I had the opposite of a TCS childhood. I have done alot of work healing myself for years.
> Now that I am the mom of a beautiful child I want to give all the love and respect in the world.
> If you have any info on taking babies seriously I would love to learn more.

it's better not to think of TCS as being on the same spectrum as conventional parenting. it's not at the opposite end from controlling parents, TCS is a different kind of thing.

i don't think "healing" is a good concept to use when thinking about mental issues. healing and medicine are for bodies and physical issues. mental healing is a metaphor, it's not literal. it works better to consider the issues in terms of ideas and other mental concepts.

you can read some more TCS related material at:

http://curi.us/archives/list_category/61

www.fallibleideas.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20030603214744/http://www.tcs.ac/Articles/index.html

Elliot Temple