TAKE-A-HIKE: Saturday, 11/2, 10am - MONROVIA CANYON FALLS

Tony B

Oct 30, 2019, 10:57:24 PM10/30/19
to Take-A-Hike LA
WHERE: MONROVIA CANYON FALLS

WHEN: Saturday, 11/2, 10am (start at 1015am)

WHY: Did someone say "WATERFALL"?  This week, we will be venturing a little east of Pasadena for this cool, refreshing hike and beautiful waterfall.  It looks like the landscape of Lord of the Rings meets Fern Gully.  Monrovia Canyon Falls is located in the San Gabriel Mountains, we'll spend most of this hike hugging a creek until we reach a 30 ft waterfall. This is a pretty shorter hike, but definitely one to check out. Definitely one of the coolest waterfall hikes in and around Los Angeles.   We will likely add a short extension up to the huge dam, which provides views of the valley and beyond.  (HIKE IS DOG FRIENDLY, ON LEASH)

Distance: 3-5 Miles out and back

Elevation Gain: 675 ft

Difficulty: Easy / Moderate

Suggested Time: 1.5-2 Hours

Trailhead Directions & Address: Take the 210 Freeway to Monrovia (east of Arcadia and Pasadena). Take exit 34 onto Myrtle Ave. and drive north for 1.1 miles to Foothill Boulevard. Turn right, drive four blocks to Canyon Boulevard and turn left. Drive north for 1.6 miles to the park entrance station, making a pair of right turns to stay on Canyon Boulevard. The lower lot for Bill Cull Trail is to the left of the entrance station. The nature center is another 0.6 miles up the road  (DON'T PARK AT THE NATURE CENTER)

1200 North Canyon Boulevard, Monrovia, CA 91016

Parking Cost: $5 parking fee (or) FREE street parking in neighborhood outside of park.