HIKE: Saturday, 5/25, 930am - Griffith Park / Fern Dell

Tony B

May 23, 2019, 3:03:40 PM5/23/19
to Take-A-Hike LA
WHERE: Griffith Park - Observatory (Fern Dell Drive Entrance)
WHEN: Saturday, 5/25, 930am (leave parking area at 945am)
WHY: outdoor / social / cardio
WHO: 30+ people each week

Get out, meet some new people, and bring a friend.  This is a beautiful hike!!  ((Lee Moody will be leading the hike this weekend))

Heading to Los Feliz and Griffith Park this week. Back to one of the group's favorite hikes. This is a moderate hike that goes up and around the Griffith Observatory, and then up to the highest ridge above the Observatory before coming down again. Come join us at LA's Central Park, and see Griffith Park Observatory. The hike has some of the best views of Los Angeles - including views of downtown LA, Palos Verdes, Catalina Island and beaches; as well as valley views - Glendale, Burbank, Studio City, etc.

Hike has around 1800ft elevation gain, roughly 6 miles, and 2-2.5 hours.   These are some great climbs to work on your calves, and get some great cardio.  NOTE: It is going to be a hot weekend, so please bring plenty of water.

Furry Friends are welcome on this hike. Oh, you can bring your dog(s) too.

It’s always fun to check out the Observatory - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffith_Observatory.  Opened to the public in 1935, this is an LA icon, and one of the coolest places to explore with a group of gay hikers.  We usually have some JPL rocket scientists on our hike so if you are looking for a sexy geek, you might want to check out their Big Bang Theory.  Robert Hurt was recently featured for his GLIMPSE360 imaging of the universe.  If we are lucky, he may join us, as our celebrity astronomer.

Directions:
Just up from the intersection of Western/Franklin, turn off of Los Feliz Blvd, go north on Fern Dell Drive and drive through the residential area, and park in large parking lot towards the end of the road. Look for the group.

MAP LINK: http://goo.gl/maps/6Rwv