Installing Taintdroid

Matt Kim

Feb 20, 2012, 9:24:18 PM2/20/12
to TaintDroid
Can someone explain in more detail how to complete each of the steps
to install TaintDroid? I have a Nexus S with Gingerbread and a Mac
running Lion. This is the first open-source program I'm installing so
the instructions are unclear.

Sherwyn

Feb 21, 2012, 8:31:15 AM2/21/12
to taint...@googlegroups.com

If you just want to get your hands on the program checkout Droidbox that comes on the ARE VM for mobile malware testing.

Has a bunch of other useful apps too.

Byung-Gon Chun

Feb 21, 2012, 11:52:58 AM2/21/12
to taint...@googlegroups.com
Is Droidbox related to Bouncer?

Thanks.
-Gon

Sherwyn

Feb 21, 2012, 1:01:30 PM2/21/12
to taint...@googlegroups.com

I am not sure I have heard the two referenced before like that.

Matt Kim

Feb 21, 2012, 8:06:21 PM2/21/12
to TaintDroid
Does it have the same functionality as TaintDroid or is it the same? I
need to have the actual TaintDroid to use.

On Feb 21, 1:01 pm, Sherwyn <infoloo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not sure I have heard the two referenced before like that.
> On Feb 21, 2012 11:53 AM, "Byung-Gon Chun" <bgc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Is Droidbox related to Bouncer?
>
> > Thanks.
> > -Gon
>
> > On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 5:31 AM, Sherwyn <infoloo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> If you just want to get your hands on the program checkout Droidbox that
> >> comes on the ARE VM for mobile malware testing.
>
> >> Has a bunch of other useful apps too.

Byung-Gon Chun

Feb 21, 2012, 8:47:19 PM2/21/12
to taint...@googlegroups.com
It looks like the tool uses TaintDroid.

local_manifest.xml from their web site.
<manifest>
  <remote  name="github"
           fetch="git://github.com" />
  <remove-project name="platform/dalvik"/>
  <project path="dalvik" remote="github" name="pjlantz/android_platform_dalvik" revision="taintdroid-2.1_r2.1p" />
  <remove-project name="platform/frameworks/base"/>
  <project path="frameworks/base" remote="github" name="pjlantz/android_platform_frameworks_base" revision="taintdroid-2.1_r2.1p" />
</manifest>

But the site does not say they are using TaintDroid for information leak detection...

- Gon

Sherwyn

Feb 21, 2012, 9:39:45 PM2/21/12
to taint...@googlegroups.com

Yes, it used Taintdroid in the backend.

Matt Kim

Feb 25, 2012, 1:02:11 AM2/25/12
to TaintDroid
Yeah, I need to use it pretty much for privacy guarding on Android...
Are the instructions for downloading TaintDroid to my Nexus S the same
if I have a Mac vs a PC?

On Feb 21, 9:39 pm, Sherwyn <infoloo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it used Taintdroid in the backend.
> On Feb 21, 2012 8:47 PM, "Byung-Gon Chun" <bgc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > It looks like the tool uses TaintDroid.
>
> > local_manifest.xml from their web site.
> > <manifest>
> >   <remote  name="github"
> >            fetch="git://github.com" />
> >   <remove-project name="platform/dalvik"/>
> >   <project path="dalvik" remote="github"
> > name="pjlantz/android_platform_dalvik" revision="taintdroid-2.1_r2.1p" />
> >   <remove-project name="platform/frameworks/base"/>
> >   <project path="frameworks/base" remote="github"
> > name="pjlantz/android_platform_frameworks_base"
> > revision="taintdroid-2.1_r2.1p" />
> > </manifest>
>
> > But the site does not say they are using TaintDroid for information leak
> > detection...
>
> > - Gon

Seungyeop Han

Feb 25, 2012, 1:23:51 AM2/25/12
to taint...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to build Android before building and installing TaintDroid.
When I tried with Mac OS, it generates compile errors, even though Android team saids that it's possible to build Android on Mac. I think it would be easier if you compile it on Linux (by using VM).

--
Seungyeop

Meryeme Ayache

Feb 25, 2012, 6:09:58 AM2/25/12
to taint...@googlegroups.com
hello everybody,
I am working on Taintdroid project but I am still facing problems on
installing TaintDroid :( I followed the tutorial online and I looked
up on the mailing list but nothing is working for me :(. I am using
Ubuntu 10.04 as OS of the pc and I am using Nexus S for the Android
emulatulator. please can somebody help me!!

--
Meryeme Ayache.*
**Third year Computer Science Student Engineer at

Seungyeop Han

Feb 25, 2012, 7:17:31 PM2/25/12
to taint...@googlegroups.com
You should specify what problems are.

--
Seungyeop

Meryeme Ayache

Seungyeop Han

Feb 27, 2012, 5:02:23 AM2/27/12
to taint...@googlegroups.com
Hi what does it say when you try to download it?
Have you installed repo?
Check with the original android source site:

--
Seungyeop

Jason Nguyen

Nov 24, 2015, 10:24:14 AM11/24/15
to TaintDroid
That's all my notes, may help you!
I'm using Ubuntu 10.4

1. Installing the JDK (Android 4.3 requires JDK 6):

  • sudo apt-get update
  • Install java 8 then java 6
    • sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
  • sudo apt-get install oracle-java6-installer
  • IF THERE ARE so many versions, use this command to set default to java 6 if it is not default:
sudo update-alternatives --config java
  • Ubuntu 14.04: sudo apt-get install bison g++-multilib git gperf libxml2-utils make python-networkx zlib1g-dev:i386 zip

2. Downloading and installing Git and Python:
  • sudo apt-get install git-core
  • Install Python 3.3: By default Ubuntu 10.4 installed Python 2.7, we should install newer version and set this version as default:
    • sudo apt-get install -y python-software-properties
    • sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fkrull/deadsnakes
    • sudo apt-get install python3.3
    • alias python='/usr/bin/python3'
3. Download and install Repo:

4. Install KVM on Ubuntu, Intel's CPU

  • sudo apt-get install qemu-kvm
  • Enable Virtualization Technology in BIOS
  • sudo kvm-ok
Install Android Studio into Home/Android folder

5. Install Android SDK
http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/07/download-and-install-androidsdk-in-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/
  • Download and install Android SDK from website
  • Install SDK to Home/Android/SDK folder
  • Come to Android Sdk installation folder
  • cd ~/Android/Sdk/tools
  • ./android
  • Choose Android 4.3.1 Platform
  • After updating, run the commands below to include AndroidSDK in your path environment.
  • gedit ~/.bashrc
  • Then add these lines at the very top of the file and save it.
  • export PATH=${PATH}:~/Android/Sdk/tools

  • export PATH=${PATH}:~/Android/Sdk/platform-tools

  • Log out and log back in, then type android on the command line to launch the software.
    • android avd

6. Download and install Taintdroid:

7. On Ubuntu 14.04 64bit with a NVidia graphics card I had to do the following:

  1. Install the SDK and ADT plugin for Eclipse
  2. Install 32-bit libraries sudo apt-get install lib32stdc++6 lib32z1
  3. Install OpenGL libraries sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev
  4. Install proprietary drivers for the graphics card: System Settings > Software & Updates > Additional Drivers NVIDIA binary driver version 331.38
  5. From Eclipse, run the Android Virtual Device Manager and edit a device. Enable "Use Host GPU" & save.
Other installation before building
  • sudo apt-get install flex
8. Build test: At this point, it is recommended that you build Android without any modifications. This will ensure that any build errors for your environment are resolved and are not confused with TaintDroid build errors. For example:
  • . build/envsetup.sh
  • lunch 1
  • make clean
  • make -j4
  • ... wait
  • emulator OR emulator  @VirtualDeviceName => example: emulator @Android_4_3
  • ... ensure the build works

9. Get the TaintDroid source code

  • update file: Download the TaintDroid 2.3 local_manifest.xml and placed it in ~/android-2.3_r1/android-2.3_r1/.repo
  • cd ~/tdroid/tdroid-4.3_r1
  • repo sync