Update taiga 6.0.7. to the latest version

Jeroen Grijmans

May 4, 2021, 10:28:50 AMMay 4
to taigaio
Can anyone tell me what the preferred update procedure is for taiga-back, taiga-events, taiga-front-dist and taiga-protected. I'am on version 6.*

Gerrit Bonn

May 21, 2021, 6:55:35 AMMay 21
to taigaio
Okay I tried to figure out how to do the „basic things“ with the docker installation. These are rebooting the host, updating and checking the version. Here are my notes:

Reboot Taiga-Host

After a server reboot all projects and users are gone. To solve this do the following:
1. go to /taiga-docker/ directory
2. run ./launch-taiga.sh
3. Projects and users will be back in a few minutes

Update Taiga docker deployment to the newest version

1.      Checking Versions
1.1.    Open https://hub.docker.com/u/taigaio
1.2.    Check all containers for newest version
1.3.    In this example we're on Taiga 6.1 and docker hub offers us
1.3.1.taigaio/taiga-front:6.1.1
1.3.2.taigaio/taiga-back:6.1.1
1.3.3.taigaio/taiga-events:6.1.1
1.3.4.taigaio/taiga-protected:6.1.1
1.4.    Go to you own /taiga-docker/ directory
1.5.    Open docker-compose.yml
1.6.    the image variable in the yml file contains the version (tag) you will update to if you run the update commands.
2.      Saving Data
2.1.    Data is saved on your server thanks to the volume mounting which survives container recreation. You can see from the docker compose file where the data is for the db: taiga-db-data:/var/lib/postgresql/data
2.2.    That taiga-db-data volume is where your "permanent" db data is stored (I suggest there is a need for a premade script to to backup it). It would be better to also backup the other volumes before doing operations you're unsure of.
3.      Update Taiga
3.1.    Now, for the update part, I'd add a specific version tag to your taiga container, replacing latest with the version you need of feel the need to update to. There are many containers on that file so I’ll update all that I can find a new one on Docker Hub
3.2.    Open docker-compose.yml
3.3.    „taiga-front: image: taigaio/taiga-front:latest“ becomes „taiga-front: image: taigaio/taiga-front:6.1.1“
3.4.    „taiga-back: image: taigaio/taiga-back:latest“ becomes „taiga-back: image: taigaio/taiga-back:6.1.1“
3.5.    Do the same for taiga-events and taiga-protected
3.6.    Save and quit docker-compose.yml
3.7.    To update all the containers, db included, you can run docker-compose pull and docker-compose up -d without arguments: all the containers in the docker-compose.yml will be updated to the version pointed to their respective tag.

Check taiga version
1. go to /taiga-docker/ directory
2. run git describe --tag
3. Console will output the running version

So I got two follow up question:

  1. Is this the right process to update the docker installation? If yes I would love to clean up my notes and commit a step by step guide to the documentation
  2. If I run docker images afterwards I got both the new and the old containers. Do I need to remove the old ones after every update?
  3. Is there a way to, just to make sure, check the version of the running Taiga server? I googled this and found a tip to just run "git describe --tag" but this still shows Taiga 6.1.0 after I updated taiga-front, taiga-back, taiga-events and taiga-protected (so all containers I found on Docker Hub) to 6.1.1. This makes sense to me because I only used git to clone the docker repo and didn't touch git since then, but how do I go about checking the version now?

Chintan Mishra

May 23, 2021, 7:30:41 AMMay 23
to taigaio
This looks solid. I would love it if someone from Taiga/Kaleidos ventures can confirm this.

Jeroen Grijmans

May 23, 2021, 8:36:55 AMMay 23
to Chintan Mishra, taigaio
Hi
And add the procedure for the source installation.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 23 mei 2021 om 13:30 heeft Chintan Mishra <chintan....@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

This looks solid. I would love it if someone from Taiga/Kaleidos ventures can confirm this.
--
Please help us keep the Taiga.io Community open and inclusive, follow our Code of Conduct:
https://github.com/taigaio/code-of-conduct/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md