Addition of a step-by-step guide to backup, update and restore Taiga's docker installation

Gerrit Bonn

May 23, 2021, 2:33:21 PMMay 23
to taigaio

Hello everybody,

I want to deploy Taiga.io in a production environment using the Docker installation but before I can do so I need to make sure I can backup, update and restore it.

I am sure that I am not the only one in dire need of
  1. clear step-by-step documentation describing backup, update & restore and
  2. a simple way to backup Taiga's data. Be it zipped on ad-hoc basis, rsynced to a network share regulary using a cronjob or just saved to your desktop via FTP manually before the next big update in case something breaks.
I decided to make share my work to make this possible so everybody can not only get started quickly using Taiga's docker installation but is also able to maintain the installation over the years without having to read through the Docker docs in their entirety.

I just finished some additions to the documentation explaining and describing some relevant docker basics along the way. Additionally I added all the groundwork to make simple backups possible to the Docker Compose files so newcomers just have to comment the relevant parts out while following the associated step-by-step guide.

I tested the added "easy-alternative" backup and restore method multiple times to make sure it works.

I hope my pull request to add this for everybody will get accepted. You can check out my changes here:

Feedback is, as always, very welcome!