Will the future of taiga be open source?

Christian

Sep 10, 2021, 4:34:50 AM9/10/21
to taigaio
Hi there,

first of all, great work!
I am currently evaluating taiga as  an alternative to good old redmine, but while trying things out and wrapping my head around architecture and code i got a little confused about how the project is communicated.

One could figure that there is something coming, but it does not state anything about the project but rather about the product. Which is totally ok.
But i must admit that i feel a little unsure about choosing taiga as an alternative if i am looking forward to build on it. I mean i am not sure at all that it continues as an open source project (referring to taigaNEXT). At least i cannot figure that out from whats communicated.

Best,
Chris

Barry Ward

Sep 11, 2021, 8:33:30 PM9/11/21
to taigaio
In reading that blog, sounds pretty exciting.  Can't wait to see what they have in mind.

Toni Mueller

Sep 12, 2021, 8:06:42 AM9/12/21
to tai...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 01:34:50AM -0700, Christian wrote:
> I am currently evaluating taiga as an alternative to good old redmine, but
> while trying things out and wrapping my head around architecture and code i
> got a little confused about how the project is communicated.
>
> Especially https://blog.taiga.io/announcing_taiganext.html.

> But i must admit that i feel a little unsure about choosing taiga as an
> alternative if i am looking forward to build on it. I mean i am not sure at
> all that it continues as an open source project (referring to taigaNEXT).

from my POV, I take this part "Back to present day, how does this affect
you? Well, apart from knowing we up the ante and look forward to playing
in the major league, not much, actually." I reckon that Taiga should
remain Open Source. But if not, there is also OpenProject, which feels
like a supersized version of Redmine. Back then, I ditched Redmine
because of the upgrade hassle, but OpenProject seems to be stable
enough, should I feel a need to go back.

An official statement about the future licensing policy would be much
appreciated, though!

Cheers,
Toni

Paula Tienza

Sep 16, 2021, 5:27:44 AM9/16/21
to taigaio

Hi everyone

We are glad to see that you're interested in knowing further about our news update. But equally, we understand that you have worries regarding a possible change to our Open Source model. TaigaNext will be a big leap in comparison to our current version of Taiga, however the core will remain Open Source.

Taiga is currently developed by a professional team of designers and developers who are all part of Kaleidos Open Source. At Kaleidos, open source is at the core of our values and it will not change. Luckily, we have been funded with a big seed round of 2,2M€ to boost and continue the development of Taiga (as well as our other sister product, Penpot https://penpot.app/). You can read further on our Kaleido's blog post. https://blog.kaleidos.net/Taiga-and-Penpot-lead-our-new-chapter-at-Kaleidos/

In the near future we will further elaborate and communicate what our exact plans are. In the meantime you can deploy Taiga with no risks of discontinuity of any functionality.

Hope we've answered your queries and worries, but feel free to ask anything you need.

Have a great day!

Paula