Advertising in maps

Tagzania

Jul 3, 2007, 9:39:35 AM7/3/07
to tagz...@googlegroups.com
Dear listmembers and Tagzania users:

We have partnered with a new innovative mapping service: Mappam

Mappam has just launched globally from the UK, and it's a
geo-advertising platforn. Check their website, http://www.mappam.com ,
the explanatory tours they provide, and even register if you feel more
curious.

Basically, Mappam places ads on maps. We at Tagzania, as providers of
a mapping website, have decides to try the service and show their ads.
Others may do the same as well. Advertisers may choose to buy or place
ads in certain spots of the maps, and the same ads will show in all
the sites of the Mappam affiliate network.

So, if you check Horley, a town in England near Gatwick Airport,
http://www.tagzania.com/item/40824
You'll a small little icon. It's an ad by Nestoria.co.uk, a property
search engine. Clicking on it will the ad. If you further click on the
content, Nestoria will pay some cents. Part of it for Mappam, part for
Tagzania (in this case).

The same spot, in another mapping site, OpenStreetMap:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.17065429690001&lon=-0.158700942993&zoom=16
You will see the ad again. So, Nestoria bought ads to be placed in
certain points, and they are shown in all sites of the Mappam network,
in Tagzania as well as in OpenStreetMap

In other parts of the planet (and the maps of Tagzania), randomly
placed ads of Mappam itself appear: they promote themselves, that's
all. Look at one of those here, for instance, near a surging beach in
Spain: http://www.tagzania.com/item/54643

Tagzania already shows ads. You have seen the textual advertisments
served by Google in our page. It's the well known system called
AdSense. Those ads provide a stream of revenue that's OK for us, in
order to maintain and improve the service of Tagzania. We want to
introduce another complementary source now with Mappam, and not only
for the revenue but for making a trial with a new model,
geo-advertising.

Of course, if anyone among you, Tagzania users, feels quirks about
letting these ads populate the maps, please tell. There are ways in
which the appearance of the ads can be regulated, to show only one in
every view, for instance. We don't want map spam, of course. So, any
concern or thinking about this, we'll thank that, and we're sure the
Mappam people (small, new and innovative enterprise now) we'll also
thank the feedback: they are not obviously for spam either, they just
one to create a new geo-marketing platform, useful for advertisers,
affiliate websites and map users. User cannot be put aside in the
equation.

Thanks for your attention if you've reached this far... :-)

Tagzania