Improper word delimiters (contractions etc); zoom not respected on save

Shurhaian

Apr 18, 2011, 1:49:07 PM4/18/11
to Tagxedo
Google sent me here, as I was hunting for a cloud generator that would
allow me to save an image(Wordle's main failing; I need to screenshot
and muck about to get it to work there). So far, I like Tagxedo a lot!
But there are two things that have come up.

First off, whatever system is used to sort the words breaks on some
common English contractions - can't, won't, don't, didn't, show up as
can, won, don, didn. And so on. Might there be a way to change the
mechanism such that it doesn't count apostrophes as a word break? I
don't know if this is related to the stemming process, but if it is,
it's being too aggressive about paring down - I can understand
trimming off a possessive 's of course, but I'd rather do that by hand
than have contractions(which should count as individual words,
linguistically) be broken.

The second is more about presentation. I use word clouds as thumbnails
for prose work. Thumbnails in general don't give very many spare
pixels. Thus, I try to trim down so there's as little blank space
outside the words as possible, both to avoid wasting space and to make
the words display a little bit larger. As such, it would really be
nice if saving an image respected the current display area after
adjusting the Zoom box. Even if this was an option, it would be a
greatly valuable one for the thumbnails!

You've got a great thing here so far, and I look forward to seeing it
get better, in whatever form that takes.

Thanks,
-S

Hardy Leung

Apr 27, 2011, 7:24:40 PM4/27/11
to Tagxedo
Shurhaian,

Thanks for your suggestions.

First, apostrophe is considered a punctuation and you can turn on/off
selected punctuations. Easiest is to add apostrophe as an exception.
This probably should be a default for apostrophe but since it is the
same as a single quote it somewhat screwed up the parsing scheme. I
thought about making an exception when it is sandwiched between two
alphabets but then I'd also need to deal with foreign characters to be
consistent about the exception... all in all, a potential can of worm
hence I decided against doing so.

Second, I understand what you're thinking in terms of zoom box. I
could add that but that's also another degree of complexity. You can
certainly save it to a very high resolution (e.g. 16MP) and image-edit
it to a smaller size. It's more work for you, I understand, but I'm
hesitant to add more complexity. Heck, there is a *sizable* number of
users who complain that saving to file is hard/impossible/difficult/
not-supported.

-- Hardy

Shurhaian

Apr 28, 2011, 4:30:41 AM4/28/11
to tag...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Hardy Leung <ksl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shurhaian,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> First, apostrophe is considered a punctuation and you can turn on/off
> selected punctuations. Easiest is to add apostrophe as an exception.
> This probably should be a default for apostrophe but since it is the
> same as a single quote it somewhat screwed up the parsing scheme. I
> thought about making an exception when it is sandwiched between two
> alphabets but then I'd also need to deal with foreign characters to be
> consistent about the exception... all in all, a potential can of worm
> hence I decided against doing so.

Yeah... I found how to do exceptions after I'd already sent the
message on its way, and thus felt more than a little silly. Sorry
about that. The option is there, and that's the important thing.

> Second, I understand what you're thinking in terms of zoom box. I
> could add that but that's also another degree of complexity. You can
> certainly save it to a very high resolution (e.g. 16MP) and image-edit
> it to a smaller size. It's more work for you, I understand, but I'm
> hesitant to add more complexity. Heck, there is a *sizable* number of
> users who complain that saving to file is hard/impossible/difficult/
> not-supported.

Well, drat. A large part of the appeal was in being able to save
directly, but I don't otherwise need the high-res images.

Still, what I've got now is better than nothing. Thanks for your time.

-S