Porting tagtime to other

Adam Mesha

Jul 20, 2014, 3:00:46 PM7/20/14
to tag...@googlegroups.com
In case anyone is not on the akratics list, I wanted to mention that I've started to port tagtime to Python 3 so that I would feel more comfortable hacking it (and do it a lot more), and I wanted to get a feel for what kind of interest other people have in this project.

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 4:00 PM, David MacIver <da...@drmaciver.com> wrote on the akratics list:
Uh, stupid question. Would it be unreasonable to do tagtime just as a web app with some javascript? The html5 notifications API is pretty good, which seems like the only thing that would make it hard. As a bonus, this can then act as a central API for the mobile apps to sync with.

I just looked it up on caniuse and there's *no* IE support for web notifications, not even IE11.  (Not that that's necessarily a blocker.)  Anyway, I think it's a really good idea, but I don't know if I'd want that to be the only interface for pings, for a few reasons (too easy to miss, and it would require an internet connection, at least eventually).  But it would be a great addition in general.

Alex Schell

Jul 21, 2014, 2:22:52 PM7/21/14
to tag...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in contributing a version in Python 2.7. Have you put your code on GitHub yet?

Adam Mesha

Jul 21, 2014, 3:14:53 PM7/21/14
to tag...@googlegroups.com
No, not yet, but it will be there in the near future.  I had decided to use Python 3 as it seems that that would be most helpful in the long term, and there isn't any historical baggage that would make using Python 3 difficult in this case.  In theory we could use six and make it run on both 2.7 and 3, but I really don't look forward to that.

Alex Schell

Jul 21, 2014, 4:44:24 PM7/21/14
to tag...@googlegroups.com
Cool! I have nothing against Python 3, I just want to hack on TagTime sooner than I intend to learn Python 3. I'll probably do a combination of porting TagTime to Python 2.7 from the original Perl and from your Python 3, depending on my time and your progress.

Adam Mesha

Jul 22, 2014, 1:30:56 AM7/22/14
to tag...@googlegroups.com
Python 2 and Python 3 are very very similar as far as programming languages go.  If you know Python 2 it's fairly trivial to make the few changes necessary to write in Python 3.

David Ernst

Aug 1, 2014, 4:55:34 PM8/1/14
to tag...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in this as well. Would love to be ping'd when it's posted :-)

Daniel Reeves

Aug 1, 2014, 11:23:46 PM8/1/14
to tag...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone! Alice Monday has ported TagTime to node-webkit and I've
been alpha testing it and it's pretty brilliant. Here's her fork if
you want to follow along -- https://github.com/alice0meta/TagTime --
and we'll post again here when ready for more alpha testers!
--
http://dreev.es -- search://"Daniel Reeves"
Goal tracking + Commitment contracts == http://beeminder.com

Adam Mesha

Sep 5, 2014, 2:29:10 PM9/5/14
to tag...@googlegroups.com
For everyone who expressed interest in this, I've been working on this and there is now a version with very basic functionality (no beeminder integration yet, probably that will be next).  The code is here: https://github.com/sagittarian/pytagtime.  Right now it's just a straight translation from the Perl version.  Pull requests, suggestions, etc, are welcome.