Could anyone give me a sample of their log files?

Alice Monday

Mar 27, 2014, 11:21:47 AM3/27/14
to tag...@googlegroups.com
I've been messing with tagtime for fun somewhat last night, but I'm a bit stuck; can someone send me copies of their (censored if you want) tagtime files? I know there's at least user.log and user+slug.bee. and I'm trying to figure out the file formats, but I'm not currently in a position to generate all of these myself.

Daniel Reeves

Mar 27, 2014, 2:56:56 PM3/27/14
to tag...@googlegroups.com
Sure! Here are my pings from this morning so far, in dreeves.log. You
don't have to worry about the .bee files. Those are auto-generated and
just used for caching. Actually you shouldn't have to worry about the
.log file either. Can you say what went wrong?

1395920850 slp afk [2014.03.27 04:47:30 THU]
1395929348 slp afk [2014.03.27 07:09:08 THU]
1395935882 afk bab f c RETRO [2014.03.27 08:58:02 THU]
1395936898 afk bab f c RETRO [2014.03.27 09:14:58 THU]
1395939342 afk bab f RETRO [2014.03.27 09:55:42 THU]
1395943914 kib blg [2014.03.27 11:11:54 THU]
1395945836 smk twt [2014.03.27 11:43:56 THU]
> --

http://dreev.es -- search://"Daniel Reeves"
Goal tracking + Commitment contracts == http://beeminder.com

Adam Mesha

Mar 27, 2014, 5:52:23 PM3/27/14
to tag...@googlegroups.com
The format of the log files is: unix time stamp (seconds since January 1, 1970), then a list of tags.  Anything in parentheses or square brackets is ignored.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Alice Monday <alice...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been messing with tagtime for fun somewhat last night, but I'm a bit stuck; can someone send me copies of their (censored if you want) tagtime files? I know there's at least user.log and user+slug.bee. and I'm trying to figure out the file formats, but I'm not currently in a position to generate all of these myself.

Alice

Mar 27, 2014, 5:55:15 PM3/27/14
to tag...@googlegroups.com
specific questions:
do any tools actually generate log file entries with parentheses?
what is the "comment" thing that apparently you can answer tagtime with?
what is the .tsk file format? all of the formats to do with task things, if there are more.

Daniel Reeves

Mar 27, 2014, 7:01:19 PM3/27/14
to tag...@googlegroups.com
> do any tools actually generate log file entries with parentheses?

No, but I answer pings and put things in parens often. The convention
is that parens are for comments by the user and brackets are for
machine-generated comments, namely, a human-readable version of the
timestamp.

> what is the "comment" thing that apparently you can answer tagtime with?

Oh, that's the parens/brackets thing.

> what is the .tsk file format? all of the formats to do with task things, if
> there are more.

That's safe to ignore but I have a built-in to-do list manager that
integrates with TagTime. It's basically a bunch of vim macros. The
idea is to enter tasks with time estimates, and, optionally, tags.
Then you can answer tagtime pings with the number of the task and it
will fill in the tags for that task and also accumulate data on how
good your time estimates are. Like if you're well-calibrated then, for
example, for all your 15-minute tasks you'll get pinged a third of the
time that you're doing one of those. If you get pinged for more like
two thirds of your nominally 15-minute tasks then those tasks are
actually taking 30 minutes, on average. I have a ton of data on myself
to that effect that I have yet to analyze.

It would be pretty great to have realtime stats on that on my personal
dashboard. I'd see what I needed to multiply my estimates by to make
them realistic and could gradually learn to actually do that as part
of making the estimates.

PS: Joel Spolsky calls the ratio of estimated to actual time your
velocity: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/10/26.html