I can tag files on a mounted device (DMG image) on Mac but files don't show up in searches

Antony

Oct 29, 2012, 12:43:16 AM10/29/12
to tags-...@googlegroups.com
I'm on a Mac. I can perfectly tag any files even on a mounted devices (which is an encrypted image file that I mount as I need it), but doing a search will not display any of those.

Is that a limitation of the product? Files on that device are indexed by spotlight.

Thanks

Martin (Gravity)

Oct 29, 2012, 9:29:01 AM10/29/12
to tags-...@googlegroups.com
In order for search to work Spotlight must index that external volume.
Perhaps this can help you

Chuck Keil

Nov 28, 2012, 9:33:59 PM11/28/12
to tags-...@googlegroups.com
in the comments as part of the link you will discover this

To make sure the external volume in question is indeed set to index its contents, enter

mdutil -s /Volumes/Volume_Name

and hit Return.

To turn indexing on if the previous command reports that it's disabled, enter

sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/Volume_Name

and hit Return. Terminal will request an administrator password; enter it (nothing will be displayed) and hit Return.

If all goes well, the Terminal response will be

/Volumes/Volume_Name:
Indexing enabled.