Moving to a new Mac - Tags do NOT Display in TagBrowser

luis

Oct 13, 2012, 12:17:23 PM10/13/12
to tags-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys (and CaseApps Support)
I moved to a new Macbook. After copying the dir where all my files are, I installed Tags
Started the Tags Browser... and it didn't display a single Tag...
if I select each file individually and check for the tags (using Tags) if shows they are there.
Samething with Spotlight: searching for tag:<name> finds the files... so they are there... but the Tag Browser has none!

So
  • is there any "database" Tags maintains with the list of Tags, which I have to copy to the new machine?
  • Is there a procedure to "port" Tags itself?
this is a big thing for me, since I have hundreds of files tagged... and a flat Dir Structure... that is why I wanted "Tags".... so now I am in a serious trouble until I have a solution

Thanks!
luis

nellynette

Oct 13, 2012, 7:33:28 PM10/13/12
to tags-...@googlegroups.com
Same situation

brian...@me.com

Oct 14, 2012, 3:06:58 AM10/14/12
to tags-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Here's a reply I got from CASEAPPS when I asked a similar question:-

"All tagging information is stored in extended attributes. This is similar to color labels and spotlight comments in Finder. Extended attributes are a feature of the Mac OS X file system (HFS).

Web URLs are treated special. They are stored in the Application Support and a copy of it in the Caches folder. This caches folder is being wiped by the cleaner app.

When you restart Tags the cache is being setup again".

I didn't find the above very helpful, and it didn't solve my problem of keeping track of websites I had tagged.  Also looks like the data isn't in a database, but spread around all over the shop.  Sounds like it might be worth making sure you're using HFS on your new macbook.  Equally write to caseapps and see what they say.

Best of luck

Brian

luis

Oct 14, 2012, 9:14:12 AM10/14/12
to tags-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian and nellynette
Many thanks for responding!

:-(  I think this is REALLY BAD!
the thing is the information *is stored* in the files as metadata... I found it there... it is Apps, which doesn't list them... they seem to list only the tags they have defined *in* a particular machine with the application... so when you change machine... this gets lost??

If so this is a completely unusable app... shame we do not know before buying...

I am still waiting for a response from CaseApps...

Antony

Oct 29, 2012, 12:50:33 AM10/29/12
to tags-...@googlegroups.com
I think I have the same.. I didn't notice at first but I see all my tags in Tag browser but files at all. If I go on each individual tag I will see the tags there.. I think this followed an upgrade to Lion on Mac (10.7), I didn't even change my machine... I hope there is a fix for this. The good news is that the information is on the files so it should be a matter of going and reading it..

Antony

Martin (Gravity)

Oct 29, 2012, 9:30:22 AM10/29/12
to tags-...@googlegroups.com
Spotlight might take a couple of minutes until it indexed your drive.
If it still doesn't work after an hour or so please get in contact with support by using Help->Email Support within the Tags app.
Thanks!