Re: [tagaini-jisho] Android version?

Alexandre Courbot

Jan 4, 2013, 6:01:02 AM1/4/13
to tagaini-jisho
Hi, sorry replying in English for everyone to understand.

There is an Android version planned - actually I even started writing
it. It takes a lot of time however since the existing code cannot be
reused. On top of that I have become very busy and only have very
limited time to dedicate to Tagaini recently.

However Android tablets are really the ideal support for a software
like Tagaini, so this has my priority now. I hope something will get
out sometime during this year.

Alex.

2013/1/4 Mistinguette <lull...@gmail.com>:
> Bonjour,
> j'ai vu sur le site web qu'une version android de Tagaini Jisho était
> prévue, est-ce toujours d'actualité? Si oui, y a-t-il une date/période de
> sortie?
> J'apprécie votre application mais c'est peu pratique d'être obligé de rester
> devant le pc pour réviser, j'utilise beaucoup mon téléphone et du coup
> l’application ankidroid qui a le gros avantage de faire une synchronisation
> pc/telephone.
> Pour diverse raisons, design, options proposées, soutien entre francais
> (cocorico! ^_^ ), etc..., j''aimerais apprendre le japonais avec Tagaini.
>
> Quelque soit la réponse, bravo et merci pour votre travail!
> Mistinguette.
>
> --------------
> Hello,
> will there be an android version of Tagaini Jisho? Is there a date for the
> release?
> Thank you very much for your hard work!

Fred Maillou

Jan 4, 2013, 10:31:20 AM1/4/13
to tagain...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

  I do not do any Android development but I'm curious: wouldn't it be possible to share C code between the two platforms (assuming some modularity in the original coding) ?  It looks like the Android NDK would enable that:

http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/overview.html

 Salutations,

Al

De : Alexandre Courbot <gnu...@gmail.com>
À : tagaini-jisho <tagain...@googlegroups.com>
Envoyé le : vendredi 4 janvier 2013 6h01
Objet : Re: [tagaini-jisho] Android version?

Alexandre Courbot

Jan 4, 2013, 9:28:07 PM1/4/13
to tagaini-jisho
On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 12:31 AM, Fred Maillou <freder...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> I do not do any Android development but I'm curious: wouldn't it be
> possible to share C code between the two platforms (assuming some modularity
> in the original coding) ? It looks like the Android NDK would enable that:
>
> http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/overview.html

That's true, actually at first I considered porting the Tagaini
libraries and just rewriting an interface. Problem is, Tagaini heavily
relies on Qt even for its core functions, so this would require
getting Qt statically linked as well. There is a Qt port for Android,
but it weights dozens of megabytes and is not really well tested yet.

Another thing to consider is that Android applications are really
thought differently from desktop ones. Data (like the Tagaini
database) are typically provided by data providers to activities
within and without the application. It's a very elegant scheme, but
definitely different from what the desktop Tagaini is.

Last point is that, even though using native code is an option, it is
better to avoid it on Android for portability reasons.

But the real problem is not really that Tagaini needs to be ported on
Android - the effort for doing that would not be so big, and anyway
the databases (which are where the most intelligence is put into) are
usable as-is. The real issue is that Tagaini does not have enough
development resources and dramatically needs other people to join and
actively develop the program. Although I received help here and there,
it's still virtually a one-man project after 4 years of existance.
That's the point that needs to be improve.

So, if you are or know a C++/Android developer with an interest for
Japanese and the desire to push on a helpful study tool, please make
sure to make yourself known!

Alex.

Samyak Shamkuwar

May 23, 2014, 10:32:45 PM5/23/14
to tagain...@googlegroups.com
Hey!
I have always been very very appreciative of Tagaini.
There are other tools in other platforms, and maybe some of them have their quirks but none is really as usable as TJ.
I am not really a dev in C++, more like have been into Web etc, but I would be more than happy to help port this wonderful software to as many platforms.

Japanese has some very solid dev suppport. I have not seen the glyph databases as widely ported and used in almost any other complex script language.

Alexandre Courbot

May 24, 2014, 10:27:50 PM5/24/14
to tagaini-jisho
Hi, thanks for your interest with Tagaini!

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Samyak Shamkuwar
<samya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey!
> I have always been very very appreciative of Tagaini.
> There are other tools in other platforms, and maybe some of them have their
> quirks but none is really as usable as TJ.
> I am not really a dev in C++, more like have been into Web etc, but I would
> be more than happy to help port this wonderful software to as many
> platforms.

Good news then. The Tagaini core is being rewritten from C++ to
HTML5/Javascript to increase portability. The first beneficiary will
be the detailed view which will run a full-fleged Webkit and can thus
receive many improvements. If you are interested in that part, this is
probably the one which you can start improving right away.

Basically we will need a good-looking HTML5 template for displaying
dictionary entries and kanji (with the stroke animation embedded in it
for the latter). I think of reusing the DMAK
(https://github.com/mbilbille/dmak ) project for that. Entries will be
provided in JSON and some JS will display then. The JS will also be
able to query the database to display related entries and so on.
Ideally, it should look good on desktop and mobile (or we can also
have different templates for both).

> Japanese has some very solid dev suppport. I have not seen the glyph
> databases as widely ported and used in almost any other complex script
> language.

DMAK is a good start for glyph display. It will need to be improved to
highlight the stroke groups and allow navigation, but my plan is to
use it as a basis for the next version of Tagaini.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers,
Alex.