Use models

Kurt B

May 6, 2015, 1:24:47 AM5/6/15
to tagain...@googlegroups.com
Would anyone care to share how they do practice sessions? Having used automated SRS type applications before that did everything under the covers I am a bit confused how to use sets and train settings and such for my daily practice sessions. There is so much great stuff in this application that would like to switch over to it, but as I have it loaded up with my study progress now I find myself somewhat at a loss as to how best configure it for efficient and effective daily practice. Thanks.

Alexandre Courbot

May 12, 2015, 2:19:10 AM5/12/15
to tagaini-jisho
Hi,

Tagaini is designed as a generic tool, so users can adapt it to their
own study flow. As such there is no recommended way to use practice
sessions. A little bit of understanding on their internals might help
though.

Practice sessions are done on a given "set" of entries. A set is
basically the result of a search. You can practice on the result of
the current search, or (probably more useful) on the whole study list
(all the entries which are marked as studied).

The practice algorithm is actually similar to that of a SRS
application, although simpler. The chance that a given entry will show
up is a factor of its score (which increases when you answer correctly
and decreases otherwise). The score is affected more or less strongly
depending on the time elapsed between practice sessions. So if you
practiced an entry 3 times in the last 3 days and answered correctly
all the time, it will likely not show up for a while if other entries
are available. On the other end, if you repeatedly failed on an entry,
you have a big chance to see it again in the next practice session.

The practice settings basically allow you to add some extra
constraints on which entries are shown. You may you them to make sure
that at least a couple of days are passed before you see an entry
again. Or to completely filter out entries with a high score that you
are confident you will not forget.

With that in mind, it is up to you to decide how to use the practice
sesssions - they are just a tool, not a method.