advanced auth - do you use basic auth for initial login portion?

Jonathan Price

Jan 6, 2015, 12:47:42 AM1/6/15
to taffy...@googlegroups.com
Firstly, thank you so much for this:  http://fusiongrokker.com/post/advanced-authentication-with-taffy-apis

Makes a ton of sense and I'll be implementing it soon.

My question is about the initial login part.  This bit:

        //allow white-listed requests through
        if (cfc == "authenticate"){
            return true;
        }

Where do you put the username password bits for this part?  In the Authorization header as with Basic Authorization?  Or query params?  Does it matter much, assuming its https?

Something like this?

        //allow white-listed requests through
        if (cfc == "authenticate"){
structAppend(requestArguments,
getBasicAuthCredentials());
return true; }

Adam Tuttle

Jan 6, 2015, 8:35:16 AM1/6/15
to taffy...@googlegroups.com
Technically speaking, it doesn't make a difference. My advice would be to do what will be easiest / simplest for your users. In my case that usually means just expecting the username and password as normal request arguments -- not basic auth. But that's not to say that there's anything wrong with basic auth.

If you do choose to use basic auth, then the approach you showed would be fine for passing the username and password to the resource.

Adam

Irvin Wilson

Jan 9, 2017, 6:15:48 PM1/9/17
to Taffy Users