This seems to have some ideas from other languages

MiLi

May 25, 2010, 8:37:20 PM5/25/10
to tadpolenese
The other written languages are

sin wenz - no diacritical marks; a set of words specialized to combat
the homophone problem. Actually very successful in the north.

gwoyeu romatzyh - spelling is tone-dependent; has the look of randomly
typed characters; no diacritical marks. Unsuccessful and hated by the
public.

Little Tadpole

May 26, 2010, 2:39:14 AM5/26/10
to tadpo...@googlegroups.com
To me Latinxua and Gwoyeu Romatzyh are at kindergarten level, they are
useless as written languages, much like Peh-Oe-Ji.

Each language has its own features and needs. Mandarin romanization is
a formidable task. It frankly may need deep knowledge of middle
Chinese. Perhaps an understanding of the Sino-Dene phonology would be
a first step, ha ha.

Little Tadpole

MiLi

May 26, 2010, 12:43:32 PM5/26/10
to tadpolenese
I agree on many points.

Yes, Mandarin is difficult if the goal is to be able to write literary
Chinese.

Gwoyeu Romatzyh is useless as a written language because the Chinese
people hated it. Obviously it is of no use if everyone hates it.

Latinxua is useless because it is obsolete. No one is using it.

Why is POJ useless as a written language? People actually use this
one, right?

MiLi

May 26, 2010, 3:32:53 PM5/26/10
to tadpolenese
Never mind. I think I know the answer.

Little Tadpole

May 27, 2010, 11:59:59 PM5/27/10
to tadpo...@googlegroups.com
A lot of people write in POJ. Not a lot of them read it.

A written language has two functions: to be written and to be read. POJ is so painful to read (I can tell you that as someone that did it for 2 years.) At some point you have to wonder why these people keep lying to themselves. I don't like it when people lie. I am a scientist, and day in and day out I work with bright scientists. By nature I don't like it when people lie.

The main challenge in romanization of all Chinese dialects/languages is the reading part. Writing has never been an issue. It's the reading part that is the issue.

regards,

Little Tadpole