若 narl

Little Tadpole

Nov 20, 2009, 10:13:29 AM11/20/09
to tadpolenese
For the longest time I was using the spelling "nar" because I was not
sure whether the tone was YangShang 陽上 or YangQu 陽去. Part of the
reason was that the UCLA Quanzhou dictionary did not incorporate this
word, and I wasn't able to find Quanzhou examples of usage of this
word. I finally got confirmation of (a) Quanzhou usage of this word,
(b) Teochew tone value for this word. So decided to mark this one as
YangShang. I have changed all the song lyrics where this word was
used.

I always felt uncomfortable with "nar" for 若, because this term was
clearly one of the "emotive verbs", along the line of marl 嘛, yarl 也,
sirl 是, url 有, sniurl 想, cniurl 像, etc. But due to the lack of
evidence / support material, I just kept it in the simpler YangQu
form. Now I finally felt another issue has been resolved. What a
relief! Hoklo is such a pretty language, if you look at its pristine
grammatical structure and its correlation to the tone values.

------

The relevant websites with the supporting materials are:

(a) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVf-DWB70sc&feature=related

Watch the video clip between 2:05 to 3:15 for discussion of terms
using Hoklo 若, in the Quanzhou dialect.

(b) http://www.gophor.com/hokkien/viewthread.php?tid=3012&page=1

This site shows the Teochew pronunciation of 若. Notice it is marked as
YangShang, just like 拌.

30 拌 puăⁿ 挥击 擎支棰kah伊拌散做把枋。 本字
42 若 nă, niă, ă, iă, ā, iā 若然、如果、要是 伊若是无来着怎的物? 亦、阿 疑为本字

Little Tadpole

Nov 20, 2009, 10:22:00 AM11/20/09
to tadpolenese
Forgot to include in the list of YangShang "emotive verbs" two
important words: eurl 會, veurl 袂.