TS-Substance Pre-release

Jonathan Murphy

Jun 22, 2010, 8:40:04 AM6/22/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi Folks,

After some hard work by Anders and myself, a new version of Substance
is available. Changes to the GUI are immediately obvious - big
thankyou to Anders there. All changes to the audio side of things are
documented in the manual (included in the download). You can get it
at:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dy2h213w2ft/TS-Substance.zip

Have fun. As always, any feedback much appreciated,
Jonathan.

Ingo Weidner

Jun 23, 2010, 7:19:33 AM6/23/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi,

you wrote that Substance should be a kind of replication of the
Jupiter 8 and/or the Oberheim Matrix.
The features missing for this are:

- Oscillator Sync
- Arpeggiator (with basic features like in the Jupiter, not 16 steps)

- Aftertouch and/or Modwheel as a modulation source (in the drop-down
menus) would be nice.
At least for controlling the LFO volume afertouch would be nice. This
would result in the "typical" vibrato effect.

The Osc Sync should be the most important one and it will add only few
(maybe one) elements to the GUI.
In the Blofeld the aftertouch you could

Bye,

Ingo

Jonathan Murphy

Jun 23, 2010, 11:36:31 AM6/23/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi Ingo,

What I meant to say was that when I was designing Substance I drew
inspiration from some analog synths (especially the oscillators of the
Jupiter 8 and the architecture of the SH-5). I wasn't trying to
replicate them. In very early versions I included oscillator sync, but
I found that I didn't use it all that much, and ultimately felt that
it was a feature that I could leave off. I guess it would be possible
to expand the Performance section, and add a pop-up menu which would
allow you to sync:

Osc-1<LFO-1
Osc-1<LFO-2
Osc-2<LFO-1
Osc-2<LFO-2
Osc-2<Osc-1
Osc-1&2<LFO-1
Osc-1&2<LFO-2

I will add a pop-up menu to LFO-1 allowing you to choose a controller
for the level (None, Mod Wheel, Expression Pedal, Aftertouch, Anything
Else?). In the meantime, all of the knobs have MIDI learn - right
click>edit>channel pressure will let you use aftertouch to control
anything at all.

Regarding an arpeggiator, the idea with Substance was to make a really
simple (but flexible) synthesizer that sounds good. Most soft synths
these days come with their own effects (MIDI and audio) - I wanted to
get away from that model and just focus on the oscillators, filters
and signal routing. I understand that from the point of view of a
sound designer that makes things a bit trickier, but I figure that
sound designers by definition enjoy a challenge ;).

Thanks for your suggestions,
Jonathan.

On Jun 23, 8:19 pm, Ingo Weidner <ingo.weidne...@googlemail.com>

Ingo Weidner

Jun 23, 2010, 2:21:54 PM6/23/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi Jonathan,

thanks for your answer. The patches i do for Substance are more or
less based on my Blofeld patches and i found that Osc Sync is quite
nice,
especially for that famous Prophet 5 type sounds. This is much more
important than an Arpeggiator IMO. Usually a sync of OSC1 to OSC2 (or
opposite) should be enough.
Most Analog synths just have an on/off switch for this. Maybe also a
knob for the amount could do it instead.

BTW i just mad some Strings patches, some Brass, a Lead and currently
try to do FM. I tried to reprogram a FM Bell for which i need quite
high harmonics in the modulator (here OSC1).
I found that if i use a harmonic higher than 2 the pitch of the sound
goes totally out of tune at a certain note. Sounds like it's even
LOWER than the note before. I get the sound i want using higher
harmonics, but it's only playable in a certain key range. I'll post my
current patches here as soon as possible so you can test this
yourself.

Bye,

Ingo

Ingo Weidner

Jun 23, 2010, 2:47:16 PM6/23/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi Jonathan,

i uploaded a zip file with 12 patches here, the name is:
"IW_Substance_23.06.2010.zip". It contains a bank and the single
files.

The last two patches are the FM Bells. The patch "IW FM Bell 01" uses
the 2nd harmonic and the pitch is quite normal, the patch "IW FM Bell
02" uses a higher harmonic and the pitch
is totally out of tune starting on a certain note. The sound i want to
have is that with a higher harmonic which sounds more like a tubular
bell.

Ingo

Ingo Weidner

Jun 23, 2010, 2:57:47 PM6/23/10
to Tactile Sounds
Looks like the zip file doesn't work so i added the fxb file which
seems to be OK.

Jonathan Murphy

Jun 23, 2010, 9:57:29 PM6/23/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi Ingo,

Thanks for the beautiful patches. I've just got a couple of minutes
before work, but wanted to let you know that those string and brass
sounds are awesome. The problem with the bell patch is something
called aliasing, and it's the main drawback of (digital) FM
synthesis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing

The knob labelled FM controls the amount by which the carrier affects
the modulator, and when it is set to 10, you're creating almost
infinite sidebands, so you'll exceed the Nyquist very quickly. To get
something like the dx7 tubular bells sound, you need to pull the FM
knob back to about 1 or 2. When programming FM patches, I find it
helps to start by just sending the output directly to the amp, so that
you can really hear the small changes.

Jonathan.

On Jun 24, 3:57 am, Ingo Weidner <ingo.weidne...@googlemail.com>

Jonathan Murphy

Jun 24, 2010, 2:08:04 AM6/24/10
to Tactile Sounds
Oops. What I meant to say was "the amount by which the modulator
affects the carrier".

Ingo Weidner

Jun 24, 2010, 2:08:28 AM6/24/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi Jonathan,

nice that you like the patches.

The FM Bell worked the same way in the Blofeld (FM amount at maximum)
but i'll try to use your hints for programming FM in Substance.
When i got it i'll update the fxb file and i can also post a
Rapidshare link here.

Ingo.

Jonathan Murphy

Jun 24, 2010, 7:22:14 AM6/24/10
to Tactile Sounds
I added a Controller menu to LFO-1 - options are: None, Mod Wheel,
Aftertouch, Expression, Velocity. You can get the latest version here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zijn5nmjjmy/TS-Substance.zip

I've decided against adding sync. It doesn't make sense in the
Performance section, and I just can't get excited enough about the
sonic possibilities to pull the GUI to pieces getting it into the
Oscillator sections.

I added Ingo's patches, and a few more of my own - a version of the
1988 bells, a couple of Electro Basses that I really like (listening
to Drexciya lately), and a plucked, out of tune, lutey thing. If
anyone feels inspired to make/modify patches, now is the time.

Jonathan.

On Jun 24, 3:08 pm, Ingo Weidner <ingo.weidne...@googlemail.com>

Ingo Weidner

Jun 24, 2010, 9:24:44 AM6/24/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi Jonathan,

thanks for the new version but the seems to be broken. I only get a
"Invalid or Deleted File" message.

Ingo

Jonathan Murphy

Jun 24, 2010, 9:33:40 AM6/24/10
to Tactile Sounds
Sorry about that, should have checked that it was working. Here is the
correct link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xjnzt0nmajz/TS-Substance.zip

Jonathan.

On Jun 24, 10:24 pm, Ingo Weidner <ingo.weidne...@googlemail.com>

Ingo Weidner

Jun 24, 2010, 10:18:53 AM6/24/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi Jonathan,

the link works now. I found the new controller features + patches and
will test them ASAP.
BTW you "forgot" (or not...) to add my two new FM patches (made based
on your hints) which are in the new fxb file here at the group or at
Rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.com/files/402230173/IW_Substance_24.06.2010.zip.html

Ingo
Message has been deleted

Jonathan Murphy

Jun 24, 2010, 11:09:06 PM6/24/10
to Tactile Sounds
I wrote to a bunch of sound designers last week, and most of them have
replied saying that they'll try to find time to make some presets, but
you're right, I should post an open invitation at KVR.

Jonathan.

On Jun 25, 1:27 am, Ingo Weidner <ingo.weidne...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> since the amount of group members is quite small at the moment maybe
> you could ask for help at KVR since you already have an account there.
> Or you could at least start announcing Substance there.
> I already wanted to do a little promotion about Substance at KVR but i
> didn't know if you want this. Anyway it would be better if this is
> started by you.
>
> BTW currently i have 16 patches. hopefully more tomorrow. With some
> help of sound designers from KVR you get get a "big load" of patches i
> guess.
> Anyway i'll spend some time on Substance at least today and tomorrow
> and at the weekend i have to finish my Blofeld soundset which is still
> not finished  (less than 10 patches missing !!) ... :)
> After that i should have time again if the upcoming PPG Wave 3.V beta
> testing + factory sounds programming (should start any day) is not too
> time consuming.
>
> Ingo

tactil...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2010, 12:44:54 AM6/25/10
to Tactile Sounds
Done. Here is the link to the forum topic:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=290410

Jonathan.

Ingo Weidner

Jun 25, 2010, 3:23:07 AM6/25/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi Jonathan,

i wrote a short reply/review at your KVR thread. My updated 16 patches
are here (and at the forum as a fxb file):
http://rapidshare.com/files/402567639/IW_Substance_25.06.2010.zip.html

Ingo

On 25 Jun., 06:44, tactilesou...@gmail.com wrote:
> Done. Here is the link to the forum topic:
>
> http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=290410
>
> Jonathan.

Ingo Weidner

Jun 28, 2010, 3:17:46 AM6/28/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi Jonathan,

at the weekend i made more patches for TS Substance, at the moment
there are 45. You could download them here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/403454755/IW_Substance_28.06.2010.zip.html

or the fxb file at this forum.

The categories of the patches are at the moment:

- Leads
- Synth Brass
- Synth Strings
- Pads (e.g. Filter Sweeps, Vox, FM based Vox)
- Bells (e.g. FM based)

While programming the sounds i found that Substance has a really
outstanding sound quality, really fat and warm. The set of features
and the GUI are almost perfect for what it does. The GUI is really fun
to work with. :love:

The voice spread feature is perfect for pads, Strings but also other
categories. The result is much better than having "just" a Chorus FX.
Basically the result is like a combination of unison (or hypersaw) and
a Chorus.

I also added this on KVR: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4150090#4150090

Ingo

Ingo Weidner

Jun 29, 2010, 4:10:09 PM6/29/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi everyone,

i wanted to add some patches which use the Ringmodulator of Substance
so here it is. I added 9 new patches so i am at 54 patches in total
now:

http://rapidshare.com/files/403899229/IW_Substance_29.06.2010.zip.html

You could also check the fxb at the files download in the group or the
link at KVR:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=290410

Ingo

> Erfahren Sie mehr »

Ingo Weidner

Jun 30, 2010, 4:25:08 PM6/30/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi Jonathan,

here is another update of my Substance patches. I added a pad plus
some leads and basses. Now i reached 64 patches and i guess it will
take some time to do some more since at the moment i'm a bit out of
ideas, at least for the next days... :)

link: http://rapidshare.com/files/404132340/IW_Substance_30.06.2010.zip.html

Like always you could also download the fxb file from the files
section of the group or the zip at KVR:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=290410&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Ingo