{Tactile Sounds - 6} Beta Release - Tactile Sounds TS-Substance

Jonathan Murphy

May 13, 2010, 2:57:57 AM5/13/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi Folks,
I've uploaded a new synth to the files section. I've been designing,
refining and playing this synth for a long time, and I think it's
basically ready for release, but your help with the TS-808 was
invaluable, and I'd really appreciate your feedback on this one if you
find the time. There's basic information about the synth in the zip
file, but I feel like I need to explain the reasons for the existence
of this synth. There are so many virtual analog synths available, why
make another? The short answer is that I'm not happy with any of those
I've tried. I could dissect each of them, but basically what it comes
down to for me is:

1. It has to sound great. On its own. Not after you route it through a
bunch of effects. TS-Substance has no delay, no chorus, no
reverb, nothing beyond what can be accomplished with oscillators,
envelopes, and filters.
2. It has to be flexible. The TS-Substance is semi-modular, but I hope
I've organized the routing in a way that is almost transparent.
3. It has to be easy to use. For me this means everything has to fit
easily into a single panel. There shouldn't be any superfluous
parameters.

I know that the GUI needs a lot of work, what I'd be really interested
to hear about at this point is what you think of the sound, ease of
use, is there anything missing, and so on.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan.

Robert Halvarsson

May 13, 2010, 4:19:27 AM5/13/10
to Tactile Sounds
It says "page does not exist" when I try to download the beta. Maybe
something went wrong when you tried to upload it.

Robert

sink

May 13, 2010, 4:35:46 AM5/13/10
to tactile...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Yes, it says "page not found"... grrr !

May 15, 2010, 6:30:47 AM5/15/10
to Tactile Sounds
I've implemented keyboard tracking for the filters.

Jonathan.

sink y

May 15, 2010, 7:14:32 AM5/15/10
to tactile...@googlegroups.com
Great.
I haven't had time to check it deeply enough yet (diving into a synth requires more time than for a drum machine).
At first sight, yes the GUI needs some work :) and i'm glad it has FM thingie a bit everywhere and some special stuff too : at least feature-wise, it already has character, that's a good thing.
Could we have a couple of presets to start with (only 6 or 10 already helps to get our hands on the synths and tweak, it's better than starting from scratch).
Cheers
Yann

Vous voulez protéger votre vie privée ? La solution avec Internet Explorer 8

Jonathan Murphy

May 15, 2010, 8:35:54 PM5/15/10
to Tactile Sounds
Of course. I've uploaded the latest version:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fdzjxfq00ay/TS-Substance.zip

I fixed a bug where velocity sensitivity was causing clicks. The
presets are just what I've been working with the last few days, but
they might give you some ideas. Let me know if there's anything else.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan.

On May 15, 8:14 pm, sink y <sinkmu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Great.
> I haven't had time to check it deeply enough yet (diving into a synth requires more time than for a drum machine).
> At first sight, yes the GUI needs some work :) and i'm glad it has FM thingie a bit everywhere and some special stuff too : at least feature-wise, it already has character, that's a good thing.
> Could we have a couple of presets to start with (only 6 or 10 already helps to get our hands on the synths and tweak, it's better than starting from scratch).
> Cheers
> Yann

> Installez gratuitement les nouvelles Emoch'ticones !http://www.ilovemessenger.fr/emoticones/telecharger-emoticones-emocht...

Robert Halvarsson

May 15, 2010, 8:59:24 PM5/15/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi!

I haven't had time to comment before. The last version made the synth
usable to me, since I experienced the previous bug. Great fix! A
spontanous remark is that the synth has a certain amount of
"character". And I say this in the best sense of the word. I'm no
expert in programming my own patches, but the interface is quite clear
to me which is something I also appriciate. It was great fun to play
around a little with the presets. I'm sure I'll be back later with
more input, but for now this will do. :)

Robert

Jonathan Murphy

May 16, 2010, 10:51:03 AM5/16/10
to Tactile Sounds
A few more presets uploaded to the files section (Preset Bank.fxb).
Right click and "save as" should work. Some are silly but some nice
ones too.

Jonathan.

Jonathan Murphy

May 20, 2010, 1:31:51 AM5/20/10
to Tactile Sounds
Hi Folks,

I've added a few features and improved some aspects of what was there
already:

- Filters velocity sensitive
- LFOs can now be switched between "free-running" and "sync to note
on," whereas previously they were always synced.
- LFO-2 increased range, from 8 bars (0.0625 Hz at 120 bpm), to 1/256
(128 Hz at 120 bpm)
- Osc-1 FM & SVF can now be modulated by inverse envelopes
- Envelopes can be triggered by LFOs
- new mixer option, LPF + SVF
- layout has been changed to reflect mixer routing, other minor GUI
changes

At this point I'm pretty sure there will be no further changes (except
that I'm planning to code a slew module for the S/H output of LFO-2,
but that might take a little while), so I'd really appreciate any
comments on the layout and basic aesthetic of the interface. The new
version has been uploaded to the files section (I checked it this
time, the download works).

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan.

sink

May 20, 2010, 10:21:14 AM5/20/10
to tactile...@googlegroups.com
Hi
It is getting better. I still don't like much the GUI, but this synths
brings back the good old sinewave to the front and adds nice modulations.
I'm ok with plain interfaces and clean design, but this one looks too much
like a rough sketch and lacks character (but the sounds has character). Some
work on the gui eye candy would be nice in my opinion (my 2 cents) ;)
Kind regards