Folder Sync Setup

Neil154

Apr 1, 2015, 8:04:32 PM4/1/15
to tacitd...@googlegroups.com
I would like to automatically sync folders between my PC and my Android S5.  I have the full version of Folder Sync and have setup accounts using SMB/CIFS but it works some times and other times I get error message that connect fails.

Is there someone out there that can help me resolve the problem or otherwise tell me another protocol (hopefully with instructions) that will work for me.  I do not want to use the cloud for any sync.

Thank you for your help.

JNavas

Apr 1, 2015, 8:44:48 PM4/1/15
to tacitd...@googlegroups.com
Try FTP.

Neil154

Apr 1, 2015, 8:56:47 PM4/1/15
to tacitd...@googlegroups.com
Please help me understand the settings that I need with FTP.

Under connection - what should the Server Address be - it shows ftpes://{hostname}:{port} - but I do not know what to put in its place., I assume that I use the same info on login as the login I use on my PC.  Also, what items on the "advnaced tab should I be using?

I would really appreciate your further help.

Neil154

Apr 1, 2015, 9:29:36 PM4/1/15
to tacitd...@googlegroups.com
Under the server address I tried ftp://192.168.1.135:21 but when I then tested the connection I get message "failed to connect to /192.168.1.135 (port 21)" so I really need help.  BTW there was only 1 "/" in the error message not 2 if that helps you.

JNavas

Apr 1, 2015, 9:34:03 PM4/1/15
to tacitd...@googlegroups.com
What FTP server are you running?

Neil154

Apr 1, 2015, 9:39:27 PM4/1/15
to tacitd...@googlegroups.com
I have Filezilla installed and running.  I do not know how to use it with your app but did use Filezilla to FTP to my web site.

JNavas

Apr 1, 2015, 9:42:03 PM4/1/15
to tacitd...@googlegroups.com
FolderSync is NOT my app. I'm another user.
You need to run FileZilla Server on your computer.
FolderSync will be the client.

Neil154

Apr 1, 2015, 9:46:01 PM4/1/15
to tacitd...@googlegroups.com
Do I need a different FTP program.  It looks like I have Filezilla but not Filezilla Server edition - do you suggest  specific FTP program?

JNavas

Apr 1, 2015, 9:50:07 PM4/1/15
to tacitd...@googlegroups.com
As I've already told you, you need to run FileZilla Server on your computer
Get ir working with FileZilla Client on a different computer before even attempting FolderSync.
This is NOT easy. If you don't understand FTP, I doubt that you'll be able to get it working.

Neil154

Apr 1, 2015, 10:34:04 PM4/1/15
to tacitd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your tips and I have made significant progress but still need additional help.

I set up the Filezilla Server and I know that it is working okay because I was able to log into it from a command prompt on my PC but when I tried using it from FolderSync it did not work.  In folder sync I had the following setup:

Connection:  "ftp://localhost", I also tried "ftp://localhost:21" but neither worked
login:  I used the login name and password I setup in Filezilla
advanced:  I did nothing

When I test the connection I get "failed to connect to localhost /127.0.0.1 (port 21"

Please help me resolve the problem.

JNavas

Apr 1, 2015, 10:43:17 PM4/1/15
to tacitd...@googlegroups.com
I am not going to help you unless you follow my instructions to the letter.

Neil154

Apr 1, 2015, 11:18:59 PM4/1/15
to tacitd...@googlegroups.com
that is fine, I thought the command prompt would be okay, but obviously I was wrong since I cannot get Filezilla to work I get an error message of "Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server" and I am trying to resolve it.  I have Norton Internet Security installed on both PCs and disabled the firewall and antivirus on both PCs but still have the problem.  I will continue to try to resolve the issue but if you have suggestions I am all ears.

JNavas

Apr 1, 2015, 11:30:53 PM4/1/15
to tacitd...@googlegroups.com
As I said, get Filezilla Server working with Filezilla Client on a different PC BEFORE attempting FolderSync.

Neil154

Apr 1, 2015, 11:38:04 PM4/1/15
to tacitd...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I understand and that is what I am trying to do and I need to resolve the error message "Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server" and when I do I will be back here to get your help.