Re: Tablecast feedback on implementability

Dominic König

Dec 14, 2010, 1:58:19 PM12/14/10
to Ka-Ping Yee, tabl...@googlegroups.com
Hej Ping,

Greetings from the cold north :)

No major showstoppers here - I just drafted a stylesheet S3XML<->TC (in
Sahana-Eden trunk), and also modified value representations to match the
TableCast spec, which all seems to work well.

A minor issue: I would like to be able to detect the desired data mapping
(=the type of provider/consumer) from the feed in order to perform a proper
mapping of data (~in order to make things more generic).

The "min-updated" parameter is called "msince", while "skip-record"+"limit"
are "start"+"limit" in Sahana-Eden - so we would have to rename these for a
TableCast implementation (no major problem either, I just
like "msince", "start" and "limit" better ;) ). Beyond that we support some
more query methods, see:

http://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/S3XRC/RESTfulAPI/URLFormat

Best regards,
Dominic

Den Tuesday 14 December 2010 19:24:11 skrev du:
> Hi David, Dominic, David, George:
>
> I've just put up another draft for
> Tablecast<http://tablecast.org/draft-0.2>, and I'm particularly interested
> in your thoughts on its implementability in Ushahidi and Sahana. If there
> are showstoppers, I'd like to know now; or if it looks reasonable to build,
> that's also good to know! I hope you have a moment to post your comments
> on the public list (tabl...@googlegroups.com), and I really appreciate
> your time and help in getting our systems working together.
>
> Thank you!
>

> —Ping
> Google Crisis Response

signature.asc

Ka-Ping Yee

Dec 16, 2010, 10:19:37 AM12/16/10
to Dominic König, tabl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 18:58, Dominic König <dom...@nursix.org> wrote:
Hej Ping,

God morgon Dominic!

No major showstoppers here - I just drafted a stylesheet S3XML<->TC (in
Sahana-Eden trunk), and also modified value representations to match the
TableCast spec, which all seems to work well.

Glad to hear it!

A minor issue: I would like to be able to detect the desired data mapping
(=the type of provider/consumer) from the feed in order to perform a proper
mapping of data (~in order to make things more generic).

I'm not sure I understand, but it sounds like you are interested in the description of the columns and types?  Or is it something else?  I agree that schema discovery would be useful, and is worth thinking about, though I'd like to do that as a next step after this part of Tablecast is stable.

The "min-updated" parameter is called "msince", while "skip-record"+"limit"
are "start"+"limit" in Sahana-Eden - so we would have to rename these for a
TableCast implementation (no major problem either, I just
like "msince", "start" and "limit" better ;) ). Beyond that we support some
more query methods, see:

http://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/S3XRC/RESTfulAPI/URLFormat

Good, yes, I remembered that Sahana has a much more powerful query syntax available.  I was hoping that Tablecast would not interfere with it.

Thanks,

—Ping