Trains

Ash Moran

Dec 11, 2011, 7:56:58 AM12/11/11
to systhi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

Someone I ran into recently came up with an idea for a future Systems Thinking Sheffield session: train systems. This might be a good topic as there's both the physical rail network and the organisational systems that manage them to look at.

Would anyone be interested in attending a presentation on this at a future meeting (some time in the new year)?

Cheers
Ash

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ashmoran

Katie Fenn

Dec 11, 2011, 9:20:25 AM12/11/11
to systhi...@googlegroups.com
My interest with railways is mostly in high speed rail, and the different strategies developed by Britain and France in the last forty years and how they have shaped our railway networks. France's high speed train ("TGV") system is particularly interesting, as many of the innovative features that allow it to achieve its high speeds are systemic innovations. Britain, in contrast, has a history of focusing development on locomotives and trains, rather than its railway network - with mixed success.

I feel that high speed rail systems are very interesting as the influence of its features can not only be seen so easily in the performance of their trains, but also in their safety records. Also interesting to look at are the ways in which the systems are run and the way they are built. Britain's network has largely remained the same in the last forty years; France's high speed system has expanded into southern Britain, Germany, Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium. TGV technology has also been exported to networks in Spain, the United States, South Korea and Great Britain.

I'd be very interested in both attending and contributing to a presentation - I think it's an extremely interesting subject if the effects of small characteristics can be demonstrated.

John Carlisle

Dec 12, 2011, 5:02:21 AM12/12/11
to systhi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I would be.
John

Ash Moran

Dec 17, 2011, 7:55:48 AM12/17/11
to systhi...@googlegroups.com

On 12 Dec 2011, at 10:02, John Carlisle wrote:

> Yes, I would be.

This seems like enough interest to me.

Katie - do you want to go ahead putting ideas / content together for a session? If you're willing to run this I'll sort out the logistics.

Katie Fenn

Dec 23, 2011, 5:25:11 PM12/23/11
to systhi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I can put together a talk over the holidays and work it out in the new year.

Katie