[Applications now open!] 2 x EPSRC PhD Studentships on CS+Psych projects @ UofGlasgow

Rachael Jack

Jun 4, 2024, 5:20:36 AMJun 4
Dear all

We’re excited to announce 2 x EPSRC-funded PhD Scholarships on CS+Psych projects hosted in the School of Psychology and Neuroscience in collaboration with the School of Computing Science at the University of Glasgow. Please share widely Deadline: 17 June

Project 1: The unconscious effect of physical beauty in human social interactions
The aim of the project is to investigate how "physical beauty" can bias the outcomes of social decisions (e.g. job interviews). To do this, we aim to create an algorithm able to transform the "physical beauty" of participants in real time and use that algorithm during negotiations to see how it influences social outcomes and non-verbal behavior.  We are searching for a multidisciplinary candidate that is interested in real-time computer vision (e.g. voice/face transformation and analysis) as well as social cognition (e.g., social interactions, non-verbal data analysis, social biases).

Project descriptionhttps://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/doctoraltraining/mvls-epsrc/projects/pabloarias/

Project team members: Pablo Arias Sarah (primary supervisor), Alessandro Vinciarelli (co-supervisor), Mathieu Chollet (co-supervisor)

Questions? Contact: pablo...@glasgow.ac.uk

Project 2: HIGH-FIDELITY 3D FACIAL RECONSTRUCTION FOR SOCIAL SIGNAL UNDERSTANDING
Human faces convey a wealth of rich social and emotional information—for example, facial expressions often convey our internal emotion states while the shape, colour, and texture of faces can betray our age, sex, and ethnicity. As a highly salient source of social information, human faces are integral to shaping social communication and interactions. The faces in the video can be viewed as a temporal sequence of facial images with intrinsic dynamic changes. Establishing correlations between faces in different frames is important for tracking and reconstructing faces from videos. Jointly modelling fine facial geometry and appearance in a data-driven manner enables the model to learn the relationship between a single 2D face image and the corresponding 3D face model and thus reconstruct its high-quality 3D face model by leveraging the high capacity of deep neural networks. This project is to investigate computational methods for high-fidelity 3D facial tracking on videos for social signal analysis in social interaction scenarios. It involves developing computational models for reconstruction of 3D facial details capturing geometric facial expression changes and analysing social signals.

Project team members: Hui Yu (primary supervisor), Rachael Jack (co-supervisor), Tanaya Guha (co-supervisor)

Question? Contact : Hui...@glasgow.ac.uk

Prof. Rachael E. Jack, Ph.D.
Professor of Computational Social Cognition
School of Psychology & Neuroscience
University of Glasgow
Scotland, G12 8QB
+44 (0) 141 330 5087