Fwd: ISSS Newsletter Dec 2021

James Martin

Nov 30, 2021, 5:32:40 PM11/30/21
to SSWG
fyi

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: newsl...@isss.org <members=isss...@vrmailer3.com>
Date: Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 2:38 PM
Subject: ISSS Newslette Dec 2021
To: <mart...@gmail.com>

ISSS Newslette Dec 2021

 Newsletter: December 2021, Vol 0:3

Regular features:

Message from the President
Special tracks at ISSS 2022 the conference.
Upcoming Mini-Symposia
SIG news with a proposal of two new related SIGS

New Books
Web Feature of the Month

Events promoted by members
Systems Science
Conferences

In this issue we have special contributions from other systems organisations:

ENCOSEs Systems Science Working Group

Thanks to all the contributors!
Roelien Goede
Editor

To contribute to any of these, please send an email with sufficient detail to: newsl...@isss.org
To receive this newsletter you must sign up on our main isss.org page under "Newsletter Sign Up".

Message from the President : ISSS2022 Conference Update

Greetings ISSS Systemists,
Planning for the 2021-22 conference continues to ramp up apace. The core committee and I are settling on a theme and several special tracks. Here is a draft of the announcement (but please remember this is still an early draft) to give you a heads-up and some time to think about how you might address this subject.

Advances in Systems Sciences and Systems Practice

Every field of endeavor with publication venues periodically reflect on the advancements that had been made over the last decade. The underlying assumption is that the field progresses with new discoveries or innovations. In the sciences as well as in application practice fields we look for those discoveries and innovations that propel the field forward. Perhaps it is time for the systems community to reflect on advances that have been made in systems science and systems practice as part of our efforts to understand how the ISSS is now, or can be in the future, impacting the world for the better.

For the conference theme for ISSS2022 I would like us to consider what sorts of advancements we find across the field as a whole. What has been happening in the systems sciences and practices over the last decade? What developments can you point to as having had a major impact on those who use systems science in their work? Alternatively, if we have difficulty coming up with examples, why? What areas within the systems sciences and practice need to be improved or advanced?

More informtaion on Special Tracks follows below.
George

Special Tracks at the 2022 ISSS conference

Special Track 1:  Future of Human Social Systems: What Might the Evolution of Complex, Adaptive, and Evolvable Systems Tell Us About Where We Are Going?

We continue from ISSS 2021 with a track focused on the questions: Where is humanity going? What constitutes a sustainable social system in a global system in crises? How do we get there?
What can systems science tell us about the ontogenesis of the human social system of the future, assuming there is a future? Some topics of interest:
• What role does, or should, the global human social system play in the life of our planet?
• How could such a society evolve from the current state of affairs?
• How would we humans have to change to achieve a more cooperative culture?
In keeping with the major theme of the conference, what sorts of advances in systems science and systems practice could lead to our abilities to address these kinds of questions.

Special Track 2: Confronting Systemic Global Challenges in the Present

The Stockholm Resilience Center (https://www.stockholmresilience.org/research/planetary-boundaries.html) has identified nine planetary boundaries that, if exceeded, threaten the stability of our planetary system. A number of these boundaries have already been exceeded. So, what is the fate of our planet and humankind? In this track we would like to focus on papers and presentations that consider advances in systems science and practice that address how we humans can pull back from boundaries exceeded and keep from exceeding any more.
How will the systems community address this critical area? We know that the challenges we face are systemic in nature. But what does this mean in terms of applying systems thinking to these “wicked problems”? We seek proposals for papers that show how recent advances in systems science and systems practice can be applied to addressing these systemic problems.
Of special interest would be:
• Complexity, how to think about the complexity of the world system, how to manage it
• Scale issues, how should we think about the planetary scale?
• How do we pull back to fall within the boundaries?

In addition to these two tracks we anticipate a track for aesthetics and spirituality.

SIG sessions and the Ranulph Glanville Memorial and the Bertalannfy lectures
 Regular SiG sessions will fill out the schedule for afternoons. We've begun considering plenary sessions as well as hoping to provide the (hopefully again) annual Ranulph Glanville Memorial and the Bertalannfy lectures. The committee invites the members to nominate lecturers for these two prestigious lectures. Send your nominee along with your reason for nominating to me at gmo...@uw.edu for consideration.

 Upcoming ISSS Mini-Symposiums

Existential problem of humanity
Currently we are winding down a series on applying systems thinking to some of the most pressing (existential) problems that humanity faces. We had lively sessions after presentations by:
Gail Tverberg - Oct. 30/Nov. 3 - Models that Explain the Predicament the World Economy Is Facing
Robert Johanson - Nov. 6/10 - His proposal for a SIG to address Holism
Joseph Tainter - Nov. 20/24 - "Complexity and the Productivity of Innovation"
Upcoming: William Reese - Dec. 4/8 - Something re: ecological footprint but TBD

This series started with Charlie Hall's presentation of his interpretation of the 50-year update of the Limits To Growth model and it's anticipations of consequences of unlimited population growth to civilization. We heard from Ugo Bardi, a member of the Club of Rome that initially sponsored the Meadows team in producing that report. We will hear from Gail Tverberg (of the blog, Our Finite World) regarding the relations between energy costs and economic vitality next. Then Joe Tainter, author of the classic "The Collapse of Complex Societies" will update us on his thinking about complexity and its effects on social systems. And finally, Bill Reese, one of the co-developers of the widely used Ecological Footprint analysis will regale us with his latest thinking (title to be determined).

Reflections on the ISSS from the perspective of Past Presidents

Starting after the New Year I am hoping to start a new series of reflections on the ISSS from the perspective of Past Presidents. I will be contacting the Trustees and hope to enlist some of them in Sat/Wed sessions in which they will reflect on their experiences with the ISSS and the systems movement in general. I hope we can capture some history of the society and continue to review the thoughts and aspirations of the society over the years.

Open Mic Session: Ideas requested for structuring of conversations
Past President Delia Pembrey would like to see more structured debate on important topics relevant to the society (personal communication). A structured or formal debate means following some protocols (c.f., Lincoln-Douglas debate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln%E2%80%93Douglas_debate_format) that keep things civil and, one hopes, productive. These debate formats require preparation on the part of the debaters so we can hear thoughtful, reasoned arguments on each side of an issue. What do you think? Should we devote some of our future Sat/Wed sessions to such debates? Or should we set up another forum? Can you see anything productive emerging from this approach? If so, what topics would you like to see debated? From our recent experiences with a very provocative email thread, one topic might be: Capitalism, Good, Bad, or Indifferent!
Members can still join the discussion on Wednesday (Early Thursday in ANZ) Check Ihttps://www.isss.org/members-mini-symposiums/
Please send contributions to newsl...@isss.org, we will direct your contribution to the appropriate board member.

Please, members, if you have burning questions regarding the world of systems and/or the ISSS specifically, send them to me to motivate future open mic sessions.
George Mobus

SRBS Special issue: ISSS Yearbook published

The 2021 ISSS Yearbook:

Systemic Change toward Sustainable Development: Innovative and Integrative Approaches

Editors: Shankar Sankaran  & Rika Preiser

Is now online at:

Thank you Rika, Shankar, all the authors, reviewers and Wiley staff for all the hard work.

ISSS and INCOSE Collaboration

The Systems Science Working Group (SSWG) at the International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) welcomes the collaboration from ISSS members every year at INCOSE’s International Workshop (IW). For 2022, the Systems Science Working Group’s IW activities are aimed at strengthening working collaborations with the Complex Systems, Natural Systems, and Enterprise Systems Working Groups. A key component of this activity is the collaboration between the INCOSE – though the SSWG- and the ISSS. Knowledge about systems, rooted in Systems Science is paramount to advancing Systems Engineering theory and practice.

The Systems Science Working Group at INCOSE invites the ISSS community to submit a proposal that highlights theories, models, approaches capable of informing and/or advancing systems engineering practice as framed in the following topics:

  1. Category Theory and its applications into systems engineering and/or systems science;
  2. Natural systems theories, principles, laws, methods, and/or tools that can be re-framed as systems concepts.;
  3. Systems theories and/or approached that are capable of addressing problems that enterprises are facing; e.g. how to integrate Artificial Intelligence into SE practice (humans as part of the loop); how to address VUCA characteristics of modern world, etc.

This is a competitive process and proposals will be selected based on their merit based on:

  • How well does the proposed session contributes to the topics of interest for IW 2022;
  • What is the potential to catalyze technical projects within INCOSE.

Details about IW are found here: https://www.incose.org/IW2022

Any inquiries and proposals must be sent to Javier...@oregonstate.edu

ISSS.org Web Focus: World of Systems

On the home page of the ISSS website is a box called World of Systems. In it are a number of links to maps created at different times by different people showing different perspectives and content outlining the world of systems. It is by no means all encompassing but it does give you a chance to learn about the rich and diverse field we are all connected to.

ISSS member Tom Marzolf has just given us an update to his “Systems Common Model” – a collection of systems ideas, themes, people, organizations and more.

You can read more about the background to the various links at https://www.isss.org/world-of-systems/

If you have other examples or creations please forward them to weba...@isss.org

SIG IN FOCUS: Balancing individualism and collectivism

The Purpose of the SIG is practical and theoretical. We have formed a community of practice working through University of Adelaide, Flinders Uni, University of South Africa and Universitas Padjadjaran and local communities and community facilitators supported by a research environment linked with ISSS and affiliates and Global Agoras to address potential ways to balance individual and collective needs by focusing on biopolitics, commodification and the need to work towards net zero (Thunberg, 2021).

The paradox is that individualism has been justified in the name of democracy, capitalism  and human rights but at the expense of the majority of living systems in this generation and the next.  Anthropocentrism needs to be transformed through standing together to protect people and the environment, not the 1% at the expense of the majority.

It is inspired by indigenous philosophy and the works of critical, systemic thinkers. Axiomatically the work of the SIG is that  human beings can be free and diverse to the extent that we do not undermine living systems in this generation and the next. The axiological approach  is based on the notion of transformative research that promotes a non-anthropocentric approach to  custodianship whilst also updating some of the patriarchal notions. The ontology of kinship with nature as expressed by indigenous custodians informs the assumptions underpinning the Special Integration Group. Epistemologically it is based on working across cultures and disciplines using a cross cultural approach and mixed methodology. To sum up the team of researchers  for two projects in South Africa and Indonesia  together with a community of practice comprising:

23 contributors for ‘From Polarisation to Multispecies Relationships’ , Springer, (2021) and

21 contributors to ‘Transformative Education for Re-generative Development (Edward Elgar, in progress) on expanding pragmatism based on thinking of the social, economic and environmental consequences of decisions using mixed methods matched to an area of  shared concern, namely social, economic and environmental challenges that are convergent and perceived differently.

The SIG focuses is on values and perspectives and ways to make a difference through addressing a shared concern, namely: food , energy and water security and linking it with earning, learning and growing a future together. We are exploring  the production, consumption and redistribution cycle and the potential to adapt and scale up the ‘One village, one /many enterprises ’ to support balancing individualism and collectivism .

The SIG flows from the area of concern and draws on a wide range of literature spanning Wangari Maathai , Bagele Chilisa, Greta Thunberg, Nobel Peace Prize Nominee , Chief Raoni Metuktire (2020) ,Vandana Shiva, Gunther Pauli, Debra Bird Rose and legacy of critical systemic thinkers such as West Churchman, Werner Ulrich, Gerald Midgley, Mike Jackson and Robert L Flood, A.N Christakis, Ken Bausch, Allena Leonard, Alan Rayner.

Current activity includes collaboration  with a team in South Africa and Indonesia  and more widely with contributors to two edited volumes on a) non anthropocentrism and multispecies relationships and  b) transformative education and development to explore ways to move away from business as usual to support  net zero and wellbeing stocks.

The Web site on Eco Village is located at http://wirasoftfoundation.org/en_GB/web/bic-sig

See  engagement to address earning, learning and growing a future together.

https://www.wirasoftfoundation.org/en_GB/web/ecovillage/venda1

https://www.wirasoftfoundation.org/en_GB/web/ecovillage/tarumajaya1

Cross over fields

·       Participatory Action Research .

·       Critical System Thinking and Practice

·       Living systems

·       Biopolitics/Biology

·       Communication studies

·       Covid-19

·       Women’s studies

·       Human rights

·       Social and environmental justice

Contact the SIG chair for more detail: Janet McIntyre <janet.m...@adelaide.edu.au>

New System Sciences Books
Since the Book Club is taking a break for the holidays, this section is used this month to showcase a new book edited by Gerald Midgley.
I edit a series of books with Routledge, aimed at systems thinking practitioners. The latest title in the series is now out: Buddhist and Taoist Systems Thinking: The Natural Path to Sustainable Transformation, by Josep Coll. This can be ordered for £20.99 here: https://www.routledge.com/Buddhist-and-Taoist-Systems-Thinking-The-Natural-Path-to-Sustainable-Transformation/Coll/p/book/9780367478964?gclid=Cj0KCQiAy4eNBhCaARIsAFDVtI0vsn9LzGPkktDl4Pl-kIhgA1vJkmDGtvrzjHHFpSYq2Vg1iUF7TH4aApzSEALw_wcB

Please send new book information to newl...@isss.org to be featured in the neswletter.

The ISSS book club is taking December off for the holidays and will start up in January with Stafford Beer’s The Heart of Enterprise. If you want to get a head start on the reading, here are the reading assignments:
Jan 20: Chapters 1-3
Feb 17: Chapters 4-6
Mar 17: Chapters 7-10
Apr 21: Chapters 11-13
May 19: Chapter 14 - Note One
Jun 16: Note Two - Note Five

Systems Science Conferences and Tracks at General Conferences

  • The open access journal Systems (ISSN 2079-8954) is pleased to announce a new Special Issue entitled "Application of Systems Dynamics (SD) Simulation and Systems Modeling Language (SysML) in Systems Resilience and Sustainability Management". Dr. Niamat Ullah Ibne Hossain, Dr. Mohammad Shamsuddoha and Dr. Alexandr M. Sokolov are serving as Guest Editors for this issue. The submission deadline is 01 March 2022 and papers may be submitted immediately or at any point until 01 March 2022, as papers will be published on an ongoing basis. For more information on this Special Issue and submission guidelines, please visit the following page: https://www.mdpi.com/si/systems/asds.
  • On December 9 and 10, 2021, a Conference will be held dedicated to the creative heritage of A.A. Bogdanov (Malinovsky) – the founder of a new scientific direction that anticipated the development of systems theory and systems analysis in the 20th century.The Conference is organised by the Department “System Analysis in Economics” of the Financial University under the Government of the Russian Federation together with the Central Economic and Mathematical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the University of Hull (UK). ENGLISH TRANSLATION SERVICE AVAILABE Details: https://bogdanov.systemeconomics.ru/
  • The workshop, Social Responsibility of Algorithms 2022, will be held virtually on 13-17 June 2022.SRA22 is an inherently interdisciplinary workshop, designed to start a conversation aimed at fostering innovative technology and policy development in the context of climate change and socio-economicuncertainty.  Workshop organised by algorithm...@anu.edu.au.
  • Design Research Society (DRS) conference 25th June- 3rd July 2022. Track on Systems. Important dates: Deadline for full papers: 24th November 2021. Notification of accepted papers: February 2022. Details: https://www.drs2022.org/theme-tracks/
  • In the previous newsletter we focussed on STiP:

Thanks to all the contributors!
Roelien Goede
Editor

To contribute to event lists or any other section, please send an email with sufficient detail to: newsl...@isss.org
To receive this newsletter you must sign up on our main isss.org page under "Newsletter Sign Up".

Click to edit Email Preferences or Unsubscribe from this list.
International Society for the Systems Sciences
1408 1/2 Central Ave
Ashland, KY 41101 - United States
TRACK
TOWERDATA