Fwd: This Wednesday: William Reckmeyer:Agency, Autonomy, and Authoritarianism – A Cybernetic Perspective

James Martin

Feb 17, 2023, 11:39:45 PM2/17/23
to SSWG
FYI

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Roelien Goede <pres...@isss.org>
Date: Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 1:49 PM
Subject: This Wednesday: William Reckmeyer:Agency, Autonomy, and Authoritarianism – A Cybernetic Perspective
To: <mart...@gmail.com>

Dear James
Please join us on Wednesday 22 February for a talk by William J. Reckmeyer, PhD
Topic: Agency, Autonomy, and Authoritarianism – A Cybernetic Perspective

This ISSS Mini-Symposium will examine a major topic that Bill is addressing in his current research project on Homo Cyberneticus: Creating, Understanding, and Managing the Anthropocene.  Humanity’s advanced cybernetic capabilities are the most significant emergent phenomena in the known universe, primarily because they enable a multi-dimensional agency and autonomy (biological, societal, technological, noological) that have exponentially increased in the last 500 years.  These enhanced purposeful capabilities have generated unprecedented improvements for our species in many ways, but they have also generated a runaway mix of interacting planet-centric and people-centric challenges.  Among the most corrosive sets of these latter challenges are concerted efforts by some groups of people to maximize their own power and limit the freedoms of other groups of people.  Bill’s talk will offer a cybernetic perspective on how historic tensions between agency, autonomy, and authoritarianism manifest themselves in a variety of different ways that are systemically jeopardizing the well-being of our global world.
[...]

Bill is an American cybernetician & systems scientist who is currently based in North Carolina (US) and Canberra (AUS).
During his 50-year career as a transdisciplinary professor and practitioner in Silicon Valley and Washington, DC, which included responsibilities as Director of San José State University’s pioneering Cybernetic Systems Program and as Chief Systems Scientist for two DoD-related research institutes, he has focused on developing and applying integrative approaches to collaborative leadership, strategic change, global affairs, national security, and technology management.  He has also served as a senior Visiting Professor or Fellow at Harvard, Stanford, Sydney, Stockholm, Southern California, and other leading universities in the United States and abroad; Strategic Advisor for several major leadership programs; Faculty Chair of the Salzburg Seminar’s Global Citizenship Program; and led 30+ multi-year systemic change projects in a variety of organizational, community, national, and global settings.  A past President of the American Society for Cybernetics, Bill received the Norbert Wiener Gold Medal in 2016 for his contributions to the field and is a Life Fellow of the American Society for Cybernetics and an Academician in the International Academy for Systems and Cybernetics Sciences.  He has also been a Kellogg National Leadership Fellow, a Salzburg Global Fellow, a Fulbright Scholar-Host; and an AASCU Global Scholar.

[See message below time table if link is not working]

Wednesday time zones for February:
San Francisco: 12  Noon on a Wednesday
New York:         3  PM on a Wednesday
London, UK       8  PM on a Wednesday
Berlin:               9 PM on a Wednesday
Cyprus:            10 PM on a Wednesday
South Africa      10 PM on a Wednesday
Sydney Aus        7 AM Thursday
In case of the link not working: Sometimes the security settings on your browser prevents you from following these links. Try copying the link into your browser's search bar, or go to ISSS.org, Select the MEMBERS menu and select the Mini-Symposia (Not the Public one). You will still need to log in but you will get to the zoom link. Else send me an email at the start of the session to pres...@isss.org and I will send you the zoom link if you are a paid up member.
Roelien Goede
PS. Please assist to promote the upcoming conference: Registration closes 15 March

President
International Society for the Systems Sciences

--
James

James Martin

Feb 22, 2023, 7:40:09 AM2/22/23
to SSWG
--
James

Judd.Ch...@gd-ms.com

Feb 22, 2023, 10:31:01 AM2/22/23
to syss...@googlegroups.com

Hi James,

I am a member of INCOSE and obviously on the SysSciWG distribution list.   Can I attend this presentation today?  It turns out that I have another meeting at 3 PM Eastern today that I cannot reschedule.  Will this presentation be recorded and made available to INCOSE members, or at least to the SysSciWG?

Regards,

Judd

Feb 22, 2023, 8:23:49 PM2/22/23
to syss...@googlegroups.com
This is not an INCOSE event but rather sponsored by ISSS. So I don't know any of the rules for attendance, recording, etc.

James

--
James

Swaminathan Natarajan

Feb 22, 2023, 9:00:40 PM2/22/23
to syss...@googlegroups.com
This particular event is for ISSS members only.  At the bottom of the message, we can see that the event link is https://www.isss.org/members-mini-symposiums/.  That will take you to a page restricted by a member login, which contains the actual zoom link.

There are other events that are open to non-members also.  For those events, an actual zoom link will be provided in the message.

Of course, those who find several of these events interesting may be motivated to join the ISSS :-)

Regards,
swami