Fwd: NSF's New Engineering Design and Systems Engineering (EDSE) Program

James Martin

Sep 27, 2017, 11:49:26 AM9/27/17
to SSWG
fyi.  System Science program at NSF now merged into Engineering Design & Systems Engineering (EDSE) program.

James

Sep 28, 2017, 8:39:51 AM9/28/17
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Is this event (merging) have anything to do with anyone following this group?

Aleksandar

--
The SysSciWG wiki is at https://sites.google.com/site/syssciwg/.

Contributions to the discussion are licensed by authors under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
---

James Martin

Sep 28, 2017, 9:26:25 AM9/28/17
to SSWG
Good question. It does involve some in this group because there are several that are seeking NSF grants to fund systems research...  And it helps to understand how those who have grant money to give out are thinking about your domain of interest.  (By the way, NSF grant money is not restricted to only US citizens.)

We have always encouraged SSWG projects to seek funding to help them achieve their goals. Volunteerism only takes us so far...

Len's project has already received grant money. So can others...

James

--
James

Calvo-Amodio, Javier

Sep 28, 2017, 9:45:09 PM9/28/17
to syss...@googlegroups.com

Following up on James’ reply…

My understanding about the reasing for this merger is that there was quite a bit of overlap (and confusion about the nature of their work and which program it fitted best) between the design and SE communities that typically were applying to the SyS and the ESD programs at NSF. This is based on my conversations with current and past program directors at NSF, after having served at panels, and attended NSF workshops. I believe there might be other budgetary concerns also, but I am not sure if those had an impact on the decision.

One more comment on what you said James: it is true that NSF funding is not restricted to US citizens; however, the PI must work at a US-based institution and/or the funds must be spent in the US (with some exceptions in some specific programs). This means that I can be awarded funding by NSF (I am not a US citizen) but work full-time at Oregon State University as tenure track faculty.

Hope that helps.

Javier Calvo-Amodio, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

School of Mechanical, Industrial, and Manufacturing Engineering

Oregon State University

410 Rogers Hall | (541) 737-0696 | Corvallis, OR 97331 |  Go Beavs!

http://research.engr.oregonstate.edu/carsem

Image removed by sender. NSF logo

  Subscriber Services: Manage Preferences  |  Unsubscribe  |  Help  |  Contact NSF

  Follow NSF:

Image removed by sender. Follow us on YouTubeImage removed by sender. Follow us on TwitterImage removed by sender. Follow us on FacebookImage removed by sender. Follow us on linkedinImage removed by sender. Follow us on RSSImage removed by sender. Follow us on emailImage removed by sender. Science360 News ServiceImage removed by sender. Science Nation Online Magazine

This email was sent to karl.h...@oregonstate.edu using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: National Science Foundation Update · 4201 Wilson Boulevard · Arlington, VA 22230 · 703-292-5111

Image removed by sender. GovDelivery logo

Image removed by sender.

--

James