Re: Theme One • A Program Of Inquiry

Jon Awbrey

Sep 1, 2020, 12:02:18 AM9/1/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Survey of Theme One Program ??? 3
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/08/28/survey-of-theme-one-program-3/

All,

Here's an updated Survey of blog and wiki posts relating to the
Theme One Program I worked on all through the 1980s -- which I've
been discussing in some of these groups over the last several years.
A large number of links I posted in previous discussions got broken
when my old worksite, the InterSciWiki, went offline so I've been
repairing those as I find them.

The aim was to develop fundamental algorithms and data structures
for integrating empirical learning with logical reasoning. I had
earlier developed separate programs for basic components of those
tasks, namely, 2-level formal language learning and propositional
constraint satisfaction, the latter using an extension of Peirce's
logical graphs as a syntax for propositional logic. Thus arose
the question of how well it might be possible to get "empiricist"
and ???rationalist??? modi operandi to cooperate. The ultimate vision
was the design of an Automated Research Tool able to double as a
medium for Inquiry Driven Education.

Wiki Hub
========

* Theme One Program : Overview
https://oeis.org/wiki/Theme_One_Program_%E2%80%A2_Overview

Documentation in Progress
=========================

* Theme One Program : Pascal Source Code
https://www.academia.edu/5210987/Theme_One_Program_Pascal_Source_Code

* Theme One Program : User Guide
https://www.academia.edu/5211369/Theme_One_Program_User_Guide

* Theme One Program : Exposition
https://oeis.org/wiki/Theme_One_Program_%E2%80%A2_Exposition

Applications
============

* Applications of a Propositional Calculator : Constraint Satisfaction Problems
https://www.academia.edu/4727842/Applications_of_a_Propositional_Calculator_Constraint_Satisfaction_Problems

* Exploratory Qualitative Analysis of Sequential Observation Data
http://web.archive.org/web/20180828161616/http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Exploratory_Qualitative_Analysis_of_Sequential_Observation_Data

Blog Dialogs
============

* Theme One Program : A Program Of Inquiry
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/12/20/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-1/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/12/21/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-2/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/12/31/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-3/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2013/02/14/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-4/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/02/27/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-5/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/02/28/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-6/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/03/03/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-7/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/03/10/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-8/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/03/14/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-9/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/03/18/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-10/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/03/28/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-11/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/04/03/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-12/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/04/16/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-13/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/04/25/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-14/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/05/07/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-15/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/05/28/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-16/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/12/07/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-17/

References
==========

* Awbrey, S.M., and Awbrey, J.L. (May 1991),
"An Architecture for Inquiry : Building Computer Platforms for Discovery",
Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Technology and Education,
Toronto, Canada, pp. 874-875.
https://www.academia.edu/1270327/An_Architecture_for_Inquiry_Building_Computer_Platforms_for_Discovery

* Awbrey, J.L., and Awbrey, S.M. (August 1990),
"Exploring Research Data Interactively : Theme One : A Program of Inquiry",
Proceedings of the Sixth Annual Conference on Applications of Artificial Intelligence and
CD-ROM in Education and Training, Society for Applied Learning Technology, Washington, DC, 9-15.
https://www.academia.edu/1272839/Exploring_Research_Data_Interactively._Theme_One_A_Program_of_Inquiry

Regards,

Jon

Jon Awbrey

Sep 1, 2020, 5:12:16 PM9/1/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Theme One • A Program Of Inquiry 18
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/09/01/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-18/

Re: Michael Harris
https://mathematicswithoutapologies.wordpress.com/about-the-author/
::: The Inevitable Questions About Automated Theorem Proving
https://mathematicswithoutapologies.wordpress.com/2020/09/01/the-inevitable-questions-about-automated-theorem-proving/

Fifty-plus years of roundhouse discussions about AI + ATP leave me with
nothing new to say about it all, so maybe I'll revisit my earliest thoughts
on the subject. I've always liked Ashby's pre-AI notion of IA = Intelligence
Amplification and I often used the catchword Intelliscope to sum up my sense
of the project worth pursuing. We invented the telescope on analogy with the
human eye by studying the anatomy and function of our naturally evolved organ
of vision and gradually at first, astronomically in time extending its power to
augment and correct our natural faculty and frailty. I think everyone gets the
drift of that. It doesn't mean we have to become cyborgs in any dystopian way --
if we do it will be reckoned to some other factor in our erroneous essence or
the accidents of history.

Regards,

Jon

inquiry into inquiry: https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
academia: https://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey
oeiswiki: https://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache

Jon Awbrey

Oct 7, 2020, 4:12:13 PM10/7/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Theme One • A Program Of Inquiry 19
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/10/07/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-19/

Re: Richard J. Lipton • Knowledge Is Good
https://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2020/10/06/knowledge-is-good/

It's the usual thing to say scientific inquiry involves a combination
of deductive and inductive reasoning. A slightly different, 3-phase
model, going back to Aristotle and revived by Charles S. Peirce,
analyzes the process producing knowledge into abductive, deductive,
and inductive stages. Abductive inference is used to generate a
hypothesis, deduction is used to derive its logical consequences,
and inductive reasoning is how we test the hypothesis against
experimental observations.

Here's a few thoughts toward the design of software platforms for
integrating these three components of inquiry. (Also research and
teaching.)

* An Architecture for Inquiry • Building Computer Platforms for Discovery
https://www.academia.edu/1270327/An_Architecture_for_Inquiry_Building_Computer_Platforms_for_Discovery

Resource
========

* Survey of Theme One Program
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/08/28/survey-of-theme-one-program-3/

Regards,

Jon

Jon Awbrey

Oct 24, 2020, 9:48:24 AM10/24/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Theme One • A Program Of Inquiry 20
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/10/24/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-20/

Re: Richard J. Lipton • Vaccines Are Not Developing
https://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2020/10/22/vaccines-are-not-developing/

Back in the day when I was making The Big Bucks (time-adjusted dollars) consulting
on research statistics in bioscience-medical-nursing-public-health settings,
I noticed a certain analogy between propositional calculus research (PCR₀)
and polymerase chain reactions (PCR₁). I was going to say something about it
on a previous thread where these topics collided but then I lost track of the
links I needed, so I'll go dig them up now.

Resource
========

Jon Awbrey

Feb 7, 2021, 12:04:31 PMFeb 7
to Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
[...]

https://oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey/Exploratory_Qualitative_Analysis_of_Sequential_Observation_Data

Blog Dialogs

Theme One • A Program Of Inquiry
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/09/01/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-18/