Fwd: 🆕 ISSS 2023 South Africa Special Conference Edition

1 view

James Martin

Jan 19, 2023, 6:36:20 AM1/19/23
to SSWG
FYI

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: newsl...@isss.org <members=isss...@vrmailer3.com>
Date: Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 2:31 AM
Subject: 🆕UPDATED ISSS 2023 South Africa Special Conference Edition
To: <mart...@gmail.com>
Updated ISSS 2023 South Africa Special Conference Edition

Newsletter: SPECIAL EDITION January 2023:
ISSS 2023 in South Africa
17-23 June 2023

 In this Edition :

Message from the President.

Important dates

Our Venue: An experience of a lifetime!

Travelling to the KNP

What you need to know

Conference fees

Proposed Itinerary

Call for papers

STiP workshop detail

Notes on Registration process

Risk management Message for the ISSS BoD

Detail of a External Organisation that can assist with flight bookings etc

Queries: e-mail to confe...@isss.org
Or ISSS message board

 Message from the President

Dear Reader,

It is our pleasure to publish our updated special edition of the ISSS newsletter. The purpose of this special issue is to provide information on our 2023 conference. ISSS2023 is our first face-to-face conference after the Covid-19 pandemic, and we are all looking forward to meeting up with our ISSS friends in the Kruger National Park in South Africa from 17-23 June 2023.

The theme of the conference is ‘Systems Practice for Professions.’ Due to the unique nature of the venue, the closing date for registration is  March 15th, 2023.

The conference takes the form of a multi-event with flexible participation. From 17-19 June, participants can join a pre-conference Writing Retreat, or use the time and facilities as an informal meeting space. Various organisations already indicated that they want to make use of these days to come together before joining the main conference from 19-23 June.

We also offer a Systems Thinking in Practice (STiP) formal workshop from 17 June with full-day sessions on 17-19 June and dedicated activities during the main conference. More details follow later in this newsletter in the announcement of the STiP workshop.

The theme, Systems Practice for Professions, is central to  of our keynote addresses.  Two are by past-presidents of the ISSS. Prof Gerald Midgley, Prof Ray Ison. Other keynote  speakers include Dr Rachel Lilley and  Dr Louis Klein. They are known for their extensive work in Systems Practice and will present their work. More keynote addresses will be confirmed and communicated on the conference web page linked to isss.org.  We also value contributions on underlying theory guiding systems practice. More detail follows in the call for papers which is part of this newsletter.

The conference team will ensure that you have a wonderful experience in the Kruger National Park. We included game drives and cultural activities in the programme to make this the trip of a lifetime that will live up to your expectations.
In this newsletter we hope to provide you with all the information you need to make this a memorable integrative experience!
Roelien Goede

 Important Dates ​​
ISSS 2023, 67th Annual Meeting to be held at KNP
An International Multi-Event
  • 17-19 June: Writing retreat and Informal Meeting Space.
  • 19-23 June: Main conference.
  • 17-23 June: The Systems Thinking in Practice (STiP) workshop for PhD students and Professionals with pre-conference full-day sessions and dedicated sessions during the Main Conference
Submission Dates
  • February 10, 2023: The deadline for panel, workshop, and stream proposals
  • February 15, 2023: Deadline for abstracts of papers for double peer reviewed sessions
  • February 28, 2023: Notification of abstract acceptance and invitation of full papers for  double peer reviewed sessions
  • March 15, 2023: ALL REGISTRATION CLOSES
  • March 15, 2023 Full  efund cancellation period ends.
  • April 30, 2023: Deadline for submitting full papers for double peer reviewed sessions.  (50% refund for cancellation period ends. No more refunds after this date)
  • April 30, 2023: The final deadline for abstracts of developing work sessions, recognizing that abstracts may not be developed into full papers
  • for this conference
  • May 30, 2023: Notification of acceptance of full papers in the double-blind submissions.
  • May 30, 2023: The deadline for poster abstract submission. No more than 3 posters may be submitted.

Experience of a lifetime: A Country for Animals ​​
Visiting the KNP will lead with a lifetime or memories. You will experience animals in their natural environment with minimal human intervention.

The KNP was proclaimed on 26 March 1898. It is 7,600 miles² very similar to the size of Wales or Belgium. South to North is  217 Miles or 350 km.

Brett, M.R. 2018, Tourism in the Kruger National Park: Past Development, Present Determinants and Future Constraints. African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure, 7:2

https://www.sanparks.org/assets/docs/general/annual-report-2020.pdf

Our Venue

The venue is the Skukuza conference lodge. The first 90 registered and confirmed participants will stay in the lodge (pictured left) with breakfast included and the rest in the self-catering classic rest camp accommodation. Guests are welcome and more than 1 room may be requested as the maximum capacity per room is 2 people only. In all rooms, the cost for the first person is $125 per person per night and the cost for the second person is $55. Note that the $25 conservation tax per day is included in the conference registration but payable for guests on arrival.

Travelling to the KNP
  • We recommend that you use OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg as entry point. (Cape Town International Airport is further away.)
  • Most flights into South Africa are overnight flights. There is a day flight from Europe available via KLM.
  • We recommend that you stay overnight at an airport hotel in Johannesburg before traveling to the park by plane since we have a game drive and evening activity on the first afternoon!
  • Book your ticket from OR Tambo or Cape Town International to Skukuza very soon after 15 March.
  • Flights are managed by Airlink, visit https://www.flyairlink.com/en-za/flights-to-skukuza
  • Transfers from Skukuza Airport to lodge included in registration fees (Conference and STiP workshop), you need to have fees available for your non registerring guest transfer, the amount varies, please check the conference web page. Currently it is $25 per person return.

Read this before you book:

We created an information video: Also on the ISSS.org home page.

The following are key aspects to take note of:

  • Registration closes 15 March.
  • It is best to register early to secure lodge accommodation inclusive of breakfast.
  • Since the entertainment activity is on the first day after arriving in the KNP, it is best to arrive in Johannesburg one day before travelling to the KNP.
  • If you are not buying refundable flight tickets, delay booking your flights until 15 March to enable us to review the world political situation.
  • This is a Malaria area; a simple one tablet precaution is required. Speak to your health practitioner.
  • Check the visa requirements; for some countries, only a fee is payable.
  • As with all travel, have evidence of your health insurance at hand.
  • If you extend your trip to visit other parts of the country, take note of the differences in climate. You need a warm jacket for early morning game drives, but the park has mild winter weather, while the rest of the country can get much colder. We do not recommend self-drive for international visitors in South Africa.
  • Details of a trusted travel agent is provided at the end of the newsletter
  • The more you know about the wildlife of the park, the richer is your experience!

 Conference fees ($)

Early Registration secure lodge accommodation with breakfast included.​
All conference fees excludes accommodation

Please note that participants of the writing retreat do not receive any lunches / tee etc as part of their costs. The cost covers the conservation fee and the use of the venue rooms.

 Proposed itinerary

 Funding strategy
We created a support fund for pensioners and students who are not able to afford the trip. At the payment stage of the registration, everyone will be able to make a donation towards this support fund. Please consider a donation - even $20 makes a difference!  If you cannot afford the trip, please send a request to pres...@isss.org . We want to help, but if you do not ask we will not be aware that you need us! A committee will manage the fund shortly after registration closes on 15 March. All requests will be kept confidential and shared on an "as needed" basis with the funding committee comprising of the President, President-Elect, VP Admin and VP Conference.

Call for Papers

A pdf  containing all the is information is available for distribution on ISSS.org

THE SIXTY-SEVENTH MEETING OF
THE INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR THE SYSTEMS SCIENCES
17-23 June 2023, Kruger National Park, South Africa
Registration closes 15 March 2023

An International Multi-Event
17-19 June: Writing retreat and Informal Meeting Space.
19-23 June: Main conference.
17-23 June: The Systems Thinking in Practice (STiP) workshop for PhD students and Professionals with pre-conference full-day sessions and dedicated sessions during the Main Conference

Theme: Systems Practice for Professions
The theme of the conference is systems practice for professions. Systems Practice is based on a set of methodologies to address problematic situations holistically where complexity is embraced rather than reduced. Since many systems thinking methodologies exist, there is an opportunity to promote a unified framework for systems practice. The aim of the conference is to promote the use of holistic, inclusive thinking in addressing problems in various professions, integrating solutions across professions, and to strengthen the national, regional, and international professional networks of practitioners. To develop systems practitioners and to further the discipline of systems sciences, a Systems Thinking in Practice Workshop is integrated into the conference.
Call for Papers, Conference Workshops, and Presentations
We are seeking papers and presentations on systems practice and systems science for professions. However, since systems practice without robust underlying theory is undesirable, the conference committee invites tracks and workshops on systems theory.
Examples of professional areas in which systems knowledge and know-how are applied are: the natural sciences operations research, crisis and disaster management, ecology, physical and mental well-being and health (medicine, psychiatry, psychology, psychiatry, physical education, sports), architecture, urban and rural development, climate and environmental risk management, financial markets, sustainable energy and food systems transitions, sustainable development innovation, data science, policy development, trans-disciplinarily, design and management of complex social organizations (neighbourhoods, cities, co-operatives, governance structures, etc).
We accept papers covering all areas and themes of systems science, such as the use of systems approaches in applications or subject sciences (natural and social), concept or position papers, and speculative (novel) thinking. Most submissions should indicate a target Special Interest Group (SIG) (cf the ISSS SIG list in the navigation of its website). If, however, there may not be a suitable SIG, the proposal may be considered for non-aligned paper sessions. Submissions related to the theme of the conference are especially encouraged, but not required.
Manuscript categories
Category 1:  Composed of manuscript submissions selected to be included in the ISSS Yearbook – published on Systems Research and Behavioral Science. Manuscripts are selected based on the quality and scope of their contribution to the systems sciences. If the manuscript is selected as a Category 1 submission, the author(s) will be invited to submit an extended/reworked or updated version of the paper for review to the Systems Research and Behavioral Science (SRBS, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10991743a) special issue known as the ISSS Yearbook.

Category 2: Manuscripts, reports, research notes, and presentations on work-in-progress, preliminary results, and directions of future work. Full manuscripts suitable for the proceedings of the conference.

Category 3: Presentations of proposed concepts, position papers/essays, or speculative thoughts.

All category 2 manuscripts follow a two-stage peer review process. Stage 1 is in-person and live peer-review during the presentation of the material at the conference. The objective of Stage 1 is to encourage exchange of ideas and collaboration between ISSS members. Authors may incorporate comments and revise their manuscripts after the conference (before August 30th). After that, Stage 2, a double-blind peer-review process will begin and final inclusion of manuscripts will conclude January 30th, 2024.
Please note that all three categories require an initial abstract  submission, subject to revision and approval before submission of manuscripts (when desired by the author). Inclusion of abstracts and manuscripts in the conference proceeding is contingent on presentation of the work at the conference.
Requests to plan other paper and workshop sessions should be sent to confe...@isss.org by no later than January 31, 2023.

Abstract acceptance MUST be obtained prior to submitting full papers. Please use the template available on the Conference WebsiteYou should receive a confirmation letter within 24 hrs. Please follow-up if you do receive such a letter by sending an email to: roelien.goede@nwu.ac..za.

Full manuscripts should be submitted after acceptance of the abstract but no later than April 30th, 2023, with the abstracts submitted no later than February 1, 2023. Notice of abstract acceptance will be given no later than February, 28, 2023.

Earlier submissions will lead to earlier notifications.

Planned SIG Session Streams
If you wish to submit a paper, presentation or workshop in a stream not reflected in this list, please email confe...@isss.org for more information.

Action Research
Balancing Individualism and Collectivism
Crises and Disaster
Critical Systems Theory and Practice
Designing Educational Systems
Digital Product-Service Systems (IS/ICT)
Health and Systems Thinking
Hierarchy Theory
Human Systems Inquiry
Leadership and Systemic Innovation
Living Systems Science
Organizational Transformation & Social Change
Relational Science
Research towards General Theories of Systems
Science, Spirituality and Systems Science
Socio-Ecological Systems & Design
Student SIG
Systemic Ethics
Systems Applications in Business and Industry
Systems Biology and Evolution
Systems Modelling and Systems Engineering
Systems Pathology
Systems Philosophy
Viable Systems Model (VSM)

--