Re: Why a single unified ontology is impossible

Jon Awbrey

May 8, 2019, 11:55:08 AM5/8/19
to Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Resending my last. Those triple question marks were supposed to be
dashes and quotation marks. I checked and found my T-bird sent the
right unicodes but somehow the comedy of errors appropriately named
Yahoo! was losing them in transit. Looks like it was a transient,
at least as of a minute ago, so let's hope this works this time.

Re: John Sowa
At: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/ontolog-forum/xRa-_vxwdp4/overview

John, All —

My first year at college the university was holding a cross-campus colloquium
taking its theme from C.P. Snow's Two Cultures all about the need for and the
difficulties of cross-disciplinary communication and collaboration in our day.
The university had recently created three residential colleges focused on the
arts, sciences, and government/history but designed to provide future citizens
with an integrated perspective on how these concentrations fit into the bigger
picture of the modern world.

Long time passing, I found myself returning to these issues around the turn of the
millennium, addressing the “problem of silos“ and the “scholarship of integration”
from the perspective of Peirce's and Dewey's pragmatism and semiotics. Here's the
papers Susan A. and I wrote about that:

Conference version:
http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/menu/library/aboutcsp/awbrey/integrat.htm

Published version:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1350508401082013

I don't know if the brands of ontologies being cranked out today are going to be
the ultimate answer to these problems, but I do think there are applications of
logic, math modeling, and pragmatic semiotics that would certainly help a lot.

Regards,

Jon

inquiry into inquiry: https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
academia: https://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey