Fwd: ISSS Newsletter April 2022

1 view

James Martin

Apr 1, 2022, 9:47:01 AM4/1/22
to SSWG
fyi

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: newsl...@isss.org <members=isss...@vrmailer3.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 1, 2022 at 9:40 AM
Subject: ISSS Newsletter April 2022
To: <mart...@gmail.com>

ISSS Newsletter April 2022

 Newsletter: April 2022, Vol 1:4

Regular features:

Message from the President

Information on the upcoming ISSS conference:

SIG in focus:
Ethics

Recently published Book:

Systems Science: Theory, Analysis, Modeling, and Design by George Mobus

Book Club: Latest news
from Marty
Interesting VSD article to read

New Feature: Meet our new ISSS members

To contribute to any of these, please send an email with sufficient detail to: newsl...@isss.org or Roelie...@gmail.com

To receive this newsletter you must sign up on our main isss.org page under "Newsletter Sign Up".

Message from the President
Greetings Systemists,

I am in the process of scheduling a few more Past Presidents' sessions for our Saturday/Wednesday(Thursday) sessions. There will also be a few more mini-symposia presentations and more open-mic sessions. Remember to check the ISSS calendar (https://www.isss.org/calendar/) for the schedules and the ISSS/Members/Sat-Wed (https://www.isss.org/members-mini-symposiums/) page for the links to these sessions.

Starting off this month we will hear from Peter Tuddenham, who started these sessions. As we get closer to the conference in July we will take a hiatus until after the AGM and will pick up again in August. Roelien and I hope several of you will step up to help with the scheduling and topic selections and act as moderators for the sessions. If you are interested, let us know.

Plans for the conference are shaping up. The announcement and call for papers is out (https://www.isss.org/online-2022/) and we're in the process of rounding out the plenary speakers.

Finally, I am happy to announce that my new book, "Systems Science: Theory, Analysis, Modeling, and Design," has been published by Springer (2022). Roelien tells me she will feature it in this newsletter, so you can read about it there.

George

International Society for the Systems Sciences
66th Annual Conference : 7-11 July 2022
 Advances in Systems Sciences and Systems Practice

Important Links:
Important Dates for Online Conference 2022:
  • May 15, 2022. Deadline for abstracts of papers for double peer-reviewed sessions
  • May 30, 2022. Notification of abstract acceptance and invitation of full papers for double peer-reviewed sessions.
  • June 1, 2022.The final deadline for abstracts of developing work sessions, recognizing that abstracts may not be developed into full papers for this conference.
  • June 1, 2022. The deadline for poster abstract submission. No more than 3 posters may be submitted.
  • June 1, 2022. The deadline for panel, workshop, and stream proposals. J
  • June 15, 2022. The deadline for full papers for Category 1, double peer-reviewed sessions.
Conference Conversations:
Questions, suggestions, or anything you'd like to discuss about the upcoming ISSS conference?
Please get in touch! confe...@isss.org

Howard Silverman, 2021-2 VP Conferences

Recently published book of VERY special interest

Systems Science: Theory, Analysis, Modeling, and Design

George E. Mobus

Detail copied from Amazon.com web page

This book describes a comprehensive approach to applying systems science formally to the deep analysis of a wide variety of complex systems. Detailed ‘how-to’ examples of the three phases (analysis-modeling-design) of systems science are applied to systems of various types (machines, organic (e.g. ecosystem), and supra-organic (e.g. business organizations and government). The complexity of the global system has reached proportions that seriously challenge our abilities to understand the consequences of our use of technology, modification of natural ecosystems, or even how to govern ourselves. For this reason, complex mathematics is eschewed when simpler structures will suffice, allowing the widest possible audience to apply and benefit from the available tools and concepts of systems science in their own work. The book shows, in detail, how to functionally and structurally deconstruct complex systems using a fundamental language of systems. It shows how to capture the discovered details in a structured knowledge base from which abstract models can be derived for simulation. The knowledge base is also shown to be a basis for generating system design specifications for human-built artifacts, or policy recommendations/policy mechanisms for socio-economic-ecological systems management. The book builds on principles and methods found in the authors’ textbook Principles of Systems Science (co-authored with Michael Kalton), but without prerequisites. It will appeal to a broad audience that deals with complex systems every day, from design engineers to economic and ecological systems managers and policymakers.

The book is available from Springer and Amazon

SIG in Focus: Ethics

Ethics are models that encode our values and operate upon the contingencies of the past in the adjudicatory function or the possible contingencies of the future in the heuristic

function. Ethics is similar to the two-faced Janus; one face looks backwards and adjudicates our actions, utterances, and thoughts and the other face predicts what we will do in the future. The face that looks towards the past is embedded in “history” as a cultural or personal narrative. The face that is predictive in nature looks to what can be imagined. Both environments are contextual, (and accordingly are fundamentally epistemological), the past a retrospective narrative, the future an imagined narrative.

            The Ethics Special Integration Group interrogates conversations about systems (in all its forms, disciplines and models) from the perspective of ethics). Are the categories that we create in investigating boundary critique ethical, are the interventions that we design good or bad?  These are examples of the questions that are asked in the Ethics Special Integration Group.

John Vodonick

Welcome to our new ISSS members
We sent an email to all members who joined in 2022 an the following new members participated in a fun question answer survey. We welcome you to the society. All new members who received the invite to participate are welcome to submit their detail. We will feature every month a few new members. To join the ISSS simply go to ISSS.org/Register/

Silvana Croope

Systems have always been part of my way of considering and doing work. I have always been involved in projects since early age, which science fairs, chemical / physics / mechanical labs always worked on causal effects that is one of the skills with thinking systems.

I used systems thinking for system dynamics and for decision-support systems. I am particularly interested in its application on logical interdependencies that are tied to critical infrastructure systems resilience, and its use on industrial control systems tied with industrial internet of things and social illicit activities that misuse critical infrastructure systems.

My main occupation is as a research engineer at the Alabama Transportation Institute, part of the University of Alabama: education and science development. This organization is considered part of the State Government.

     If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Seafood with spring salad with nuts and almonds and quinoa.

If you were a superhero, what powers would you have?

I would love to have the power to stop disasters, whatever the type.

What causes are you passionate about?

Human rights and dignity of life with respect, balanced work and collaboration to a better world.

Annaka V Johnson

I'm a full-time doctoral student enrolled in Managing Organizational Systems at Saybrook University. I feel like I have been in school all my life. I've attended 11 institutions of higher education so far in various majors. When I get there I learn their systems, learn what they do then feel satisfied and want to learn something else. When I reflected on what my life patterns were telling me, I realized I just liked learning systems, and how people do processes. I researched and found the terms complex-adaptive systems and agent-based modeling then felt like I found what I was looking for.

I'm into the systems that could save the world and their theories. Designing potential online research rapid fail simulation games for real-world problem solving.

If you could go back in time and change one thing, what would it be?

I would change the invention of money and social hierarchical structures from forming and enslaving the human race.

If you could share a meal with 4 individuals living or dead, who would they be?

Peter Joseph from the Zeitgeist Movement, Jane McGonigal makes games for real-world problem solving, David Silver from DeepMind creates machine learning algorithms for learning games, and Donella Meadows/Russell Ackoff construct healthy working systems.

What was the last book you read?

 Reality Is Broken: Why Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World

John A Challoner

My interest in systems developed as a result of two projects that I am engaged in. a) Joining up the dots to create a single formal language

applicable to both natural languages, such as English, and formal languages, such as the logics, set theory, and algebra. The result is a

modified form of set theory.  b) Joining up the dots in the social sciences to create an explanation of human nature & society. Whilst

doing so, I couldn't help but notice repetitive patterns which seemed to apply to both. I discovered your society whilst searching the internet for more information on the topic and had an "aha" moment.  You can see some of my work at www.johnachalloner.com,

I am a professional Civil Engineer and worked in the Water Industry before retiring about 9 years ago. I was an expert in drainage systems

and pleased to have protected  hundreds of people from flooding.

My proudest accomplishment is my family. We are close, happy, successful, multi-ethnic, hard working, and make a positive contribution

to our society. I am Caucasian, my wife is Indian, my daugters-in-law are Hispanic and Chinese. I also have three beautiful grand-daughters. I love them all dearly.

Boris Hartmann

I'm interested in Cybernetics understanding of how Systems generally function and specially how Living System function with possibility of transferring principles of structure and functioning in Living Systems on artificial systems like machines… Something what Cybernetics tries to do from time of Wiener.

Tell us about any pastimes or hobbies you have and how you got into them?

I have a family, two children, three grandchildren. Hobbies are mostly about sports (I can teach many sports and I can play many sports). Sports field is attached to my first education. I write a lot. I have many formal education qualifications which encouraged writing and answering questions which occurred in my life.

Is there anything you wish you knew more about?

Bio- and DNA-technology. One of my next presentations on ISSS could be "Systems thinking, Cybernetics and genetics"

Request:  I'm wondering if you could help me in promoting System Theory from view point of Cybernetics. Email: boris.h...@t-2.si

Sean Collins

Initially developed an interest in systems thinking while studying physiology and physical therapy. Studying human function requires systems understanding and physical therapy utilizes the WHO International Classification of Function as a system model. I then studied how work organization (environmental, social, economic) influenced health, particularly the impact of system agency being constrained by systems.

In terms of application of systems thinking I’m interested in living systems which I see as being inseparable from the concept of health (stress disequilibrium theory). In terms of systems theory, I’m interested in developing systems science approaches for investigation through a critical realist philosophy of science.

 I work in academia as a professor of physical therapy. I founded the Doctor of Physical Therapy program at Plymouth State University. The curriculum is based on three inter-related concepts: causation, adaptation and systems thinking. In addition to my course sequence in clinical inquiry the program includes a 6 course “systems” sequence (values; dynamics 1 & 2; movement; psychosocial; health care).

What song would you say best sums you up?

As a “Gen Xer” I’d have to say Green Day, Basket Case:

“Do you have the time
To listen to me whine
About nothing and everything
All at once
I am one of those
Melodramatic fools
Neurotic to the bone
No doubt about it”

Shae Brown

My  interest in systems develop from teaching at secondary school, I engaged the co-emergent fields of classroom dynamics, student identity emergence, and teaching and learning, with a simple set of patterns. Later I completed a PhD, connecting pattern thinking and understanding with complexity science, quantum field theory and Indigenous Knowledge.

Teaching and learning of complexity competence (perception, thinking, understanding and acting) is a particular passion.

 What are three interesting facts about you?

  • I’m a grandmother (Shanny).
  • I have healing capacities, and am useful at birthings and end of life.
  • I have persisted in navigating reductive neoliberal Aust tertiary culture to bring my unusual and transdisciplinary Doctorate to completion.

Do you have any pets?

 I am currently looking after two guinea pigs, who were saved inside the shirts of two small boys, when they were dramatically rescued off of their roof in a very severe and fast moving flood in our town. I send pictures and updates to the boys.

It feels different to send information about myself. A risk worth taking! We have just had a second flood in a month, and power has been out for two days. It has just returned. We are living with climate chaos.

News from the Book Club
The ISSS Book Club has been making great progress reading Victor MacGill’s draft of From Violence to Love: Using Systems Wisdom to Live Beyond Violence and having wonderful conversations with Victor. Since our last meeting, Victor has made significant changes to the content of the book, so it’s a bit like flying the airplane as we’re building it. Our next meeting is 21 April 2022 from 12:30 - 2:00 pm EDT, 9:30 - 11:00 PDT, 5:30 - 7:00 GMT, and 6:30 - 8:00 CET. Here are the links to the book:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!Avm8B6xFLGnEhMRymT48hXrcKc8hlg?e=h5Usqe  DOCX

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Avm8B6xFLGnEhMU0bp-fP-ROXWKl9A?e=VM1b2Z PDF

Here are the new reading assignments:

Apr. 21: Chapters 5-8
May 19: Chapters 9-12

This means we’ll start back on Stafford Beer’s The Heart of Enterprise in June. All of these updates are on the book club web page. Please contact Marty Jacobs at marty.ja...@gmail.com if you’d like to be added to the book club email list. Also, please remember that this is a members-only benefit, so if you’d like to join the conversation, please consider joining ISSS. Happy reading!

 Interesting VSD paper published

Systemic Problem Structuring in a Complex Hospital Environment using Viable System Diagnosis – Keeping the Blood Flowing

Maren Berge Vik, Hanne Finnestrand, Robert L. Flood

Abstract:

This article presents the application of the systemic problem structuring approach Viable System Diagnosis (VSD) within the Department of Orthopedic Surgery in a large hospital in Norway. It explains why systemic thinking is relevant to this uniquely complex form of human organization. The department was coping with systemic dysfunction and VSD was chosen because previous applications demonstrated VSD excels at diagnosis of what is causing dysfunction. VSD was employed through a participatory framework that included in the process, among other stakeholders, medics, technologists, managers, administrators and, as far as possible given the sensitive nature of patient information, the patient. VSD guided thinking about what the organization is set up to do and the existing organizational arrangements to achieve that. The outcome was an agenda for debate that guided stakeholder discussions toward ways and means of improving organizational arrangements. The article briefly reviews previous applications of VSD in the hospital sector and other large complex organisations. Keywords Viable Systems Model (VSM) · Viable System Diagnosis (VSD) · Hospital · Systemic thinking · Complex organisations

Reference:

Vik, M.B., Finnestrand, H. & Flood, R.L. Systemic Problem Structuring in a Complex Hospital Environment using Viable System Diagnosis – Keeping the Blood Flowing. Syst Pract Action Res 35, 203–226 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11213-021-09569-6

Systems Science Events in April

  • Centre for Systems Studies
Annual Mike Jackson Lecture - The Fifth Discipline: Making the Future a Friendly Place for Humankind by Peter Senge

  • INCOSE/GfSE

Enterprise Architecture Guide for the Unified Architecture Framework

Wednesday 6th April 2022 11am-12pm (ET)

https://www.incose.org/events-and-news/search-events/2022/04/06/default-calendar/incose-gfse-webinar-6-enterprise-architecture-guide-for-the-unified-architecture-framework-(uaf)

  • Systems Dynamics Society

The Food Packaging Problem: A food system problem not a packaging problem

Wednesday 6th April 2022 7pm-8pm (NY/ET)

https://systemdynamics.org/event/the-food-packaging-problem-a-food-system-problem-not-a-packaging-problem/

  • INCOSE

Enchantment Meeting Speaker: Marc Levinson, Global Logistics from a System Perspective

Wednesday 13th April 2022 4.45-6pm (MT)

https://www.incose.org/events-and-news/search-events/2022/04/13/default-calendar/enchantment-meeting-speaker-marc-levinson-global-logistics-from-a-system-perspective

  • American Society for Cybernetics

ASC Speakers Series (Speaker to be confirmed)

Sunday 17th April 2022 12.00 (ET)

https://asc-cybernetics.org/events/

  • CoCreative

Feminist Systems Change: Reflections, Frames and Learning to Advance Practice

Tuesday 19th April 2022 11am-12.30pm (ET)

https://www.wearecocreative.com/feminist-systems-practice-webinar

  • Systems Dynamics Society

New Horizons of Systems Science

Wednesday 20th April 2022 11am-12.30pm (NY/ET)

https://systemdynamics.org/event/new-horizons-of-systems-science/

  • World Complexity Science Academy

10th WCSA Conference- Lisbon

Wednesday 20th April to Friday 22nd April 2022

https://www.wcsaglobal.org/10th-conference/

Invitation to join the Newsletter Editorial Team

We started the newsletter in the final quarter of last year to provide a vehicle for monthly reflection on the activities of the society. The first three issues were well received and the Board of Directors supports the newsletter as a means to support the purpose and objectives of the society. As stated in the by-laws, the purpose of the society is:

The overall purpose of the ISSS is to promote the development of conceptual frameworks based on general system theory, as well as their implementation in practice. It further seeks to encourage research and facilitate communication between and among scientists and professionals from various disciplines and professions at local, regional, national, and international levels.

The newsletter seeks to support the final sentence of this statement.  To encourage contributions, we started regular features in order to provide guidance on the type of information we want to communicate. These are listed on the first page of each newsletter and members are invited to provide information to the editorial team.

To ensure sustainability and equal opportunity, it is important to form an editorial team for the newsletter. I hereby invite any ISSS member to become part of the editorial team of the newsletter. Editorial team members should  be especially enthusiastic about the latter part of the purpose statement quoted above. Please contact me at newsl...@isss.org if you are interested in joining the team.

Roelien Goede

Editor and President-Elect

Thanks to all the contributors!

Roelien Goede,  Louise McCulloch
Editorial Team

 To contribute to event lists or any other section, please send an email with sufficient detail to:   newsl...@isss.org
 To receive this newsletter you must sign up on our main isss.org page under "Newsletter  Sign Up".

Click to edit Email Preferences or Unsubscribe from this list.
International Society for the Systems Sciences
1408 1/2 Central Ave
Ashland, KY 41101 - United States
TRACK
TOWERDATA