Book Reviews

Michael Fey

Mar 15, 2010, 1:26:16 PM3/15/10
to Syracuse Area CocoaHeads
Folks,

If you've borrowed a book from the library please consider writing up a quick review and posting it to the group mailing list. The books that O'Reilly and Apress send us are technically "review copies" and it would be a good if we actually reviewed them. I don't believe that they're looking for full book reports, just a paragraph or two should suffice.

Here's my review for Scott Berkun's Confessions of a Public Speaker:
"A great set of observations from someone who makes their living doing what many people dread. If you do any amount of public speaking I highly recommend this book. At its core it is a manual on how to be a great public speaker, but these lessons are wrapped in such a friendly, conversational story that you never once feel like you are reading a manual.

It's been particularly self-affirming to read his suggestions of things that I already do when speaking in front of a group in addition to getting some great tips."

Best,
Michael
Chief CocoaHead

Derek Underwood

Mar 15, 2010, 3:02:44 PM3/15/10
to Syracuse Area CocoaHeads

gWaldo

Mar 15, 2010, 9:02:49 PM3/15/10
to syracuse-are...@googlegroups.com, Syracuse Area CocoaHeads
A well put review, Derek. That fairly describes my experience with
this book.

My only disappointment is in the paper quality; I came to expect
georgeous full-color magazine-gloss paper from my Head First XHTML
book, but this was printed on cheap pulp paper in mono.

-Waldo