Issue 19 in synthclone: can't build on ArchLinux 64

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 14, 2013, 12:13:31 PM9/14/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 19 by harveyl...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux 64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1../configure --prefix=/usr
2.
3.

to build.
./configure --prefix=/usr
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./configure", line 208, in <module>
main()
File "./configure", line 164, in main
join(getTemplatesDirectory(), "config.h"), data)
File "/home/harv/synthclone-0.3.0/install/util.py", line 66, in
writeTemplate
fp = file(source)
NameError: global name 'file' is not defined

synthclone-0.3.0
ArchLinux 64

when using the PKGBUILD format that Arch uses, I get this error:
==> Making package: synthclone 0.3.0-1 (Sat Sep 14 12:02:01 EDT 2013)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
-> Found synthclone-0.3.0.tar.gz
==> Validating source files with md5sums...
synthclone-0.3.0.tar.gz ... Passed
==> Extracting sources...
-> Extracting synthclone-0.3.0.tar.gz with bsdtar
==> Removing existing pkg/ directory...
==> Starting build()...
Reading
/tmp/packerbuild-1000/synthclone/synthclone/src/synthclone-0.3.0/src/src.pro
Reading
/tmp/packerbuild-1000/synthclone/synthclone/src/synthclone-0.3.0/src/lib/lib.pro
Project WARNING: CONFIG+=uitools is deprecated. Use QT+=uitools instead.
Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: uitools
Usage: configure [options] [qmake-args]

configure: error: qmake returned an error
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
Aborting...
The build failed.

when building from source, I get this error:

./configure --prefix=/usr
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./configure", line 208, in <module>
main()
File "./configure", line 164, in main
join(getTemplatesDirectory(), "config.h"), data)
File "/home/harv/synthclone-0.3.0/install/util.py", line 66, in
writeTemplate
fp = file(source)
NameError: global name 'file' is not defined

issue notifications to this address.

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 14, 2013, 4:56:22 PM9/14/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #1 on issue 19 by surfacep...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux 64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

What versions of python and Qt are installed on your system?

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 14, 2013, 5:56:48 PM9/14/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #2 on issue 19 by harveyl...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux 64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

python-3.3.2
python2-2.7.5
qt4
qt5

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 14, 2013, 6:52:44 PM9/14/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #3 on issue 19 by surfacep...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux 64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

I just committed a change that allows synthclone to be built when the
default Python interpreter is a Python 3 interpreter (which I think it is,
in your case). This should take care of the "'file' is not defined" errors.

The uitools error is a bit more complex. A bit of research tells me that
this is an issue when trying to build a Qt 4 application (like synthclone)
against Qt 5. I haven't started porting synthclone to Qt 5 yet, so I don't
expect this to work. I suggest you get in touch with the package
maintainer and make sure that synthclone is explicitly linking against Qt
4. There may also be something I can do on my end to make things work
properly. Not sure.

I'm going to keep this issue open for now, as it will serve as a reminder
that I have to get around to porting synthclone to Qt 5.

Please let me know if the change solves your problem.

Thanks. :)

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 14, 2013, 9:23:11 PM9/14/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #4 on issue 19 by harveyl...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux 64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

you're right, must be the Qt5:

./configure --prefix=/usr
Reading /home/harv/synthclone/src/src.pro
Reading /home/harv/synthclone/src/lib/lib.pro
Project WARNING: CONFIG+=uitools is deprecated. Use QT+=uitools instead.
Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: uitools
Usage: configure [options] [qmake-args]

configure: error: qmake returned an error

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 15, 2013, 7:44:40 PM9/15/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #5 on issue 19 by surfacep...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux 64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

I did a little research, and found that ArchLinux adds symlinks to
different qmakes for different Qt versions installed on your system. Some
info can be found here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Qt

I added a switch to the configure script that allows you to specify the
location of the qmake executable you want to use. So, this might work:

./configure --prefix=/usr --qmake=qmake-qt4

Let me know if this works for you.

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 15, 2013, 8:59:53 PM9/15/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #6 on issue 19 by harveyl...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux 64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

nope, didn't work:

./configure --prefix=/usr --qmake=qmake-qt4
Usage: configure [options] [qmake-args]

configure: error: no such option: --qmake

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 15, 2013, 9:06:34 PM9/15/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #7 on issue 19 by surfacep...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux 64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

Are you checking out the source from the git repository? Make sure you
checkout the source from git:

git clone https://code.google.com/p/synthclone/

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 15, 2013, 9:10:45 PM9/15/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #8 on issue 19 by surfacep...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux 64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

I should have specified the source checkout earlier instead of assuming
that you had already checked out the source. Sorry about that.

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 15, 2013, 9:12:45 PM9/15/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #9 on issue 19 by harveyl...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux 64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

yep I did yesterday but not the first try today.. I just did a fresh pull:

./configure --prefix=/usr --qmake=qmake-qt4
File "./configure", line 213
except Exception, e:
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 15, 2013, 9:23:18 PM9/15/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #10 on issue 19 by surfacep...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux
64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

Yikes! Another Python 3 incompatibility. Sorry about that. Just fixed it
in trunk.

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 15, 2013, 9:50:12 PM9/15/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #11 on issue 19 by harveyl...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux 64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

bingo!! worked. it built fine.. thanx man!

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 15, 2013, 9:51:43 PM9/15/13

Comment #12 on issue 19 by surfacep...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux
64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

You're welcome! Thanks for your patience. I'm going to close this bug,
and open another for porting to Qt5.

I hope you enjoy using synthclone. Let me know if you run into any more
issues.

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 15, 2013, 9:54:54 PM9/15/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #13 on issue 19 by harveyl...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux 64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

I've always loved this app.

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 15, 2013, 10:11:55 PM9/15/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #14 on issue 19 by surfacep...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux
64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

Oh! Fantastic. Have you released any music that contains synthcloned
instruments? :)

synth...@googlecode.com

Sep 15, 2013, 10:35:50 PM9/15/13
to synthclone-...@googlegroups.com

Comment #15 on issue 19 by harveyl...@gmail.com: can't build on ArchLinux 64
http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/issues/detail?id=19

I've been ripping sf2 drumkits for Hydrogen.. Haven't tried any synths
yet.. I made music of course with the kits.. no releases yet.