Re: Laser Cutter tube

Krux

Feb 12, 2018, 1:32:24 AM2/12/18
to Lito, synshop
so our laser cutter is 90 watts, and to get just a 90 watt tube from China, it's not that much more than that, and about 180 times more powerful. Laser diodes, while really neat, are not a substitute for a laser tube.

we'll have an update soon on getting a new tube. we are seeing about going with a more powerful tube and give us a bit more capability.

On February 11, 2018 6:06:49 PM PST, Lito <litod...@gmail.com> wrote:
I mentioned it offline as an alternative previously: The 3d printer I have has a laser engraver module that can be swapped out. We're testing it this week when it comes in.

I'm unfamiliar with the W strength needed to cut wood like most others but as just an engraver this might be a viable and cheaper option @ ~$500 per printer.

I live and die by my Trinus printer btw

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 1:15 PM, Aakin Patel <aa...@synshop.org> wrote:
I have cleaned them a few times on wednesdays as well. I'm guessing people have been cutting some really smokey mdf. I'll take a look at the lens tomorrow night.

This tube is less than 2 years old, it shouldn't need replacing yet, I don't think.

- Aakin

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 1:14 PM, krux <kr...@thcnet.net> wrote:

Tim has been cleaning the mirrors every Friday.  What use to take one pass is taking about two now.

On 2018-02-06 13:06, Aakin Patel wrote:

​It's roughly a thousand dollars, we have budget for it, and the tube should be good for close to 10,000 hours of use before it needs replacing. ​

What really needs to happen is that the mirrors need to be cleaned more often. On occasion, the lens needs to be cleaned as well, but much more carefully. A lot of the perceived power issues come because particulates on the mirrors/lens build up from people cutting very smokey material / not having the exhaust on, and that eats up the beam power.

- Aakin

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:13 AM, Miss Jackalope <djjac...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tube question:

Since the cutter is probably the most popular thing in the shop-
when the tube dies (I don't know all the terminology, so please forgive me here) is there a contingency plan to replace it? Do we need to plan a cutter bake sale or a Syn (car) wash or something? (Not sure how much $ it will cost.) Is its replacement in budget already?

Not sure where to discuss this as lots of people aren't on the Discord channel.

Thoughts?

Karen-a-lope

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 6:13 PM, Miss Jackalope <djjac...@gmail.com> wrote:
That said,

I will be wishing as many possible happy wishes towards the longitivity of the tube!

Ack.

Jackalope

=======================
         Dj-jackalope.com
No Survivors. No Requests.
========================

From: Miss Jackalope <djjac...@gmail.com>
Date: 2/4/18 4:24 PM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: Is laser cutter ok?

Howdy!

Just got to the shop and the back cover was off on the laser cutter. Just want to make sure the cutter is ok before we try and use it (after replacing the back cover).

Anyone know?

It looks like possible maintenance was being done, just didn't know if the cover just wasn't put back on.

Tks!

Jackalope

         Dj-jackalope.com
No Survivors. No Requests.