Timing fixes on BSD for Arping

Thomas Habets

Mar 13, 2012, 10:23:13 AM3/13/12
to synscan
If you're on BSD[1] then the current head on github should show
improvement wrt reply times and arps will be sent more evenly.

If you could, please try it out on different systems and report back
if you see an improvement over Arping 2.11.
git clone https://github.com/ThomasHabets/arping.git

I made pcap_dispatch() eat up all packets waiting in queue before
returning. It looks better to me locally.

[1] I assume this includes MacOSX, but I don't have access to one.

--
typedef struct me_s {
 char name[]      = { "Thomas Habets" };

Takahiro Kurosawa

Mar 30, 2012, 8:54:07 PM3/30/12
to Synscan
Hi,

> If you're on BSD[1] then the current head on github should show
> improvement wrt reply times and arps will be sent more evenly.
>
> If you could, please try it out on different systems and report back
> if you see an improvement over Arping 2.11.

The change fixes the problem that arping reports false ARP reply
timeout on FreeBSD. Thanks.

> I made pcap_dispatch() eat up all packets waiting in queue before
> returning. It looks better to me locally.

It might be better that checking the return value of pcap_dispatch()
be <=0 instead of !=1 because it returns >1 when it dispatches
multiple packets.

--
KUROSAWA Takahiro

Thomas Habets

Apr 2, 2012, 10:27:20 AM4/2/12
to syn...@googlegroups.com
On 31 March 2012 01:54, Takahiro Kurosawa <takahiro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The change fixes the problem that arping reports false ARP reply
> timeout on FreeBSD.  Thanks.

Great.

> It might be better that checking the return value of pcap_dispatch()
> be <=0 instead of !=1 because it returns >1 when it dispatches
> multiple packets.

Doh. Thanks. (fixed)

And thanks for testing it.