Which program do you use to code Synekism?

edin....@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2013, 12:13:22 PM3/20/13
to syne...@googlegroups.com
Well, I want to learn making games. I can learn C++ because I know how to code in C, so it would be a seamless upgrade for me. I downloaded Visual Express 2012, is that enough?

Synekism

Mar 20, 2013, 3:06:21 PM3/20/13
to syne...@googlegroups.com
I use Visual Studio 2012 Express to write code but 2010 to actually build Synekism, though 2012 should be fine for new projects. You will also need the DirectX or OpenGL libraries if doing anything visual though. DirectX is now part of the Windows SDK. Not sure how OpenGL works as I've not really worked with it.

I would seriously recommend you go through a DirectX or OpenGL book before you start as the graphics part of the game is the hardest first technical step, in my experience anyway.

You can always see exactly what tools I use here: http://wiki.synekism.com/wiki/Development_Environment

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM, <edin....@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, I want to learn making games. I can learn C++ because I know how to code in C, so it would be a seamless upgrade for me. I downloaded Visual Express 2012, is that enough?

edin....@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2013, 12:51:35 PM3/21/13
to syne...@googlegroups.com, edin....@gmail.com
I have plenty of ideas, so I thought of making something simple like SC1, I mean, just three zones, actually I wanted to test my simulation ideas I already explained in Traffic thread. What would you recommend. Which tool, Lang?

Synekism

Mar 21, 2013, 6:41:27 PM3/21/13
to syne...@googlegroups.com
I would not be the best person to ask as I'm working on a very long-term, single, project and have a strong bias towards native C++ development. I'm also a heavy Windows user and can't advise much regarding other platforms which you may or may not want to support.

I would recommend you look into some game development books out there or even just pick up Unity (the free version should be enough) and start tinkering.