February Update

Ihop

Feb 26, 2012, 1:26:29 PM2/26/12
to Synekism
I have been downloading the new version every other month or so and
tinkering around with it. The visible changes in this update are
awesome - definitely moving in the right direction.

I know you guys have a list of to-do's (that's probably a mile long),
but I thought I would offer a suggestion on which to prioritize from a
user perspective.

Especially now that the lots are more realistic and easier to work
with, the most frustrating thing is the restriction of a new zoned
area to four sides. It means that if two segments of road were laid
down at two different times, then the angle between then won't be
exactly 180 degrees, making it impossible to create one larger zone
next to them. Do you know what I'm talking about?
_____
|__| | This arrangement of zones is impossible if the two on the
left weren't created at the same time.
|__|__|

I don't know how fundamental a change it would require, but from a
playability perspective, I would love to see more flexibility there. I
run into that problem all the time. As buildings no longer have to
take the shape of the lot, it seems more feasible to allow five road
segments (or even three) to frame a zoned area, instead of four.

Anyway, make of this what you will. Looking forward to March's
release :)

Ihop

Feb 26, 2012, 1:30:17 PM2/26/12
to Synekism
Weeeell, that illustration didn't exactly work, but hopefully you get
the idea!

Synekism

Feb 27, 2012, 11:22:33 AM2/27/12
to Synekism
Yep, I know exactly what you mean. It's been on our (correctly assumed
long) to-do list of probably a year now. However, to do it properly we
need to make some major structural changes to the way zoning works.
That's why this is taking so long.

I'd still like to point out that this is more or less an automation
feature (except the triangle lots). Everything you will be able to
make with poly-sided lots (more than 4 sides) you can already do now -
it just takes longer and is more annoying.

In any case, it will come. It's one of those "obvious" features.