(synekism's) Potential share of commercial city sim market.

colonyan

Oct 18, 2012, 11:48:38 AM10/18/12
to syne...@googlegroups.com
I've watched first actual game play video and its forum of re branded simcity.
I was surprised how much people (at least on forum), were not happy about the size of city and how region will be.
Cities are not placed adjacent and so on.
SC4 have opened up for regional play and seems to be have established solid fanbase.

Meanwhile re branded SC seems to be caring more about individual sim and exactitude of all simulation.
So that they have to narrow down the scale of regional play.

I thought if synekism manages to appear original SC4 fans you might end up by having quite a nice market share.
I wonder if this ever crossed your mind...?

Synekism

Oct 18, 2012, 12:13:09 PM10/18/12
to syne...@googlegroups.com
Yes this did cross my mind. It also affected the direction of
Synekism. It's the reason I chose to go towards macro instead of
details like seeing people walking on sidewalks.

But in terms of market share, Synekism is too incomplete to make a
difference. Maybe in time.

Markalian

Oct 28, 2012, 10:40:22 AM10/28/12
to syne...@googlegroups.com
Well, colonyan might have an idea, but there's a catch. Unless
Synekism receives constant updates with new features, like
Minecraft, the game won't have a lasting influence. This is due
to, apart from the fact that there ain't much to mod right now in
the game, the marketing being discussed here, which is directed
to the wrong audience.

I might be biased here, being a long time SC4 fan myself, but the
only reason I still occasionally play it is that there's always new
stuff up on modding communities. The game makes money for EA
to this date on Steam because of this. So that's out of the way.

That being said, I am no different than many of the SC4 fans out
there. Jook at the most popular mods. Do we have gigantic, game
changing overhauls? Sure. But most mods are about micromana-
gement, letting you decide how many people are on the street, or
add intersection pieces to individual lanes, or change sidewalk
textures

Undeniably, we would appreciate the game. Huge, if not infinite
cities, buildings as big as you want them to be, the familiar RCI
meter. But the buildings, right down to their shape and texture
overlay, would be procedurally generated, leaving no room for
modders to work their magic, unless they change the algorithms
themselves.

In fact, the only mods I can think of are ones that add new
features, like better roads, or people on the street, or different
texture patterns, like hexaflexagons. Which are dandy, but won't
last very long in the public eye.

We would soon lose interest, simply receding back into the constant
stream of new content that is not possible with Synekism. Worst
case scenario, they'd even play Simcity (2013).

Unless I'm wrong, of course.

Markalian

Oct 28, 2012, 10:42:38 AM10/28/12
to syne...@googlegroups.com
Want to know something funny? That post likely contains more
words than my English teacher has had me write all year.

Synekism

Oct 28, 2012, 12:27:35 PM10/28/12
to syne...@googlegroups.com
The whole point of working on my "code" instead of new features, or
the regular-ish unstable releases instead of one single release when
done, is that I want to create a long-term platform. If I wanted to
create a city sim game, self contained but complete, I would have done
it a long time ago and moved on.

The ultimate goal of Synekism IS to be moddable in as much capacity as
possible. I'm building it with that very goal in mind. It's the reason
everything takes so bloody long (apart from laziness).

You won't see modding capabilities in Synekism for a while longer and,
like you said, there isn't much to mod right now anyway. But it will
come.

Markalian

Oct 29, 2012, 4:05:43 PM10/29/12
to syne...@googlegroups.com
And you'll see me stick around much longer.

'Till next time.