Zoning over zoning.

Éric Boucher

Oct 7, 2013, 11:39:04 AM10/7/13
to syne...@googlegroups.com
Hi, your game have a lots of potential, i follow it since a few months now and i might start a few post in near time. One of the major issue that i see is that Road/building don't really occupy their own space, they aren't real in their own universe. In game, it's mean that we can build over pre-existed building what reduce a lots of the difficulty of making cash and affect very much the "fun" of managing.

Sincerely,
Éric

Synekism

Oct 7, 2013, 12:49:38 PM10/7/13
to Synekism
This is certainly a problem and Synekism actually has a solution. You can always turn on validation (pressing F3 + V) which will no longer allow you to overlap zones and roads. However, the current implementation is so inefficient and annoying (for the most part) that I decided to turn it off by default until I rewrite it.

I would actually still argue to leave validation off and just "decide" not to overlap roads and zones if you want to play (more) realistically. Validation will slow down the game and will not let you build many road/zone layouts that should be valid.

Éric Boucher

Oct 7, 2013, 2:06:37 PM10/7/13
to syne...@googlegroups.com
I activated it, work pretty well considering the only issue i had is a road angle too small that every game i played and work on an non-grid map have the issue. In fact, it's sure more realistic but i was more concerned about the coercitive part of the feature, i mean, a game have to give challenges to be interesting. ;)

I also noticed someting with the tool, it's work on road vs road & building vs building but not on road vs building, see the picture.

Sincerely,
Éric
Capture du 2013-10-07 14:04:17.png

Synekism

Oct 7, 2013, 2:14:10 PM10/7/13
to Synekism
Wow, that's the first time I see Synekism on Linux outside of my own computer. The UI needs some love on that platform. :)

I'll look into possible issue with the validation code but, to be honest, since I plan to rewrite it and it is disabled by default, I didn't really maintain it for a while. I'll bump priority on this problem though.