Beta Bug?

Michael J. Sonntag

May 25, 2009, 4:09:21 PM5/25/09
to Syncman
I just purchased your software and it works great. I did notice one
issue - it may be a problem with the Google API, and maybe you're
already aware of it, but I thought I'd mention it.

I had a handful of contacts that just kept syncing back and forth
between my computer and Google. Each time, the label on certain e-
mail addresses would keep being changed to "other". No matter how
often I changed them to the correct label - upon re-syncing, it would
switch back. Then I noticed that each of the contacts had some
information in the postal address field, but not a complete address.
As soon as I corrected the postal addresses (either deleted the
information or moved it to my notes section), the syncing issue was
fixed. They're all syncing perfectly now.

Thanks for the great software!

Michael

Michael Ineichen

May 26, 2009, 3:53:42 AM5/26/09
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

I have noticed that bug too, and thanks to your fix I have managed to
save my sanity.

A question: is there a script that would put all those contacts with
wrong address data into a group?

Thanks

Michael

Jeff Nichols

May 26, 2009, 5:38:42 AM5/26/09
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michaels,

There are two different issues here.

The first is the issue of some labels being changed to "other" by
Google. As far as I've been able to tell, this is a purely Google
issue and there is nothing I can do about it. However, I last looked
at this some months ago, so I'll check it out again to see if there's
now a workaround on my side.

The second issue of some contacts with postal addresses always wanting
to be synced is a bug in the 1.3 Beta. It doesn't seem to happen with
all contacts with addresses, so I need to figure out where the bug
actually is.

Thanks for your reports!

Jeff
--
Jeff Nichols
Wateree Software

Michael Ineichen

May 26, 2009, 6:49:06 AM5/26/09
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Hi there

I have so far not noticed (nor looked out for) the first bug.

The second bug to me only happens with all the addresses that have
incomplete addresses, i.e. one or several address book fields that are
empty, like a postcode or city etc.

Best,

Michael 2

Jeff Nichols

May 26, 2009, 7:28:12 AM5/26/09
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael 2, ;-)

Yes, the first bug is only noticeable in certain situations and
doesn't affect syncing at all (as opposed to the second bug).

Thanks for the info concerning the second bug, that will help me find
the underlying issue.

Cheers,
Jeff

mocker

Jun 9, 2009, 5:10:54 PM6/9/09
to Syncman
Hi, I'm a newbee about to buy your great app…

I too have to deal with that 2nd bug. I can confirm it's related to
incomplete addresses.
Other than that, everything OK. Are we going to be able to sync
pictures pretty soon ?
Thanks.

Jeff Nichols

Jun 10, 2009, 12:18:53 PM6/10/09
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> Hi, I'm a newbee about to buy your great app…

Great! That's very much appreciated!

> I too have to deal with that 2nd bug. I can confirm it's related to
> incomplete addresses.
> Other than that, everything OK. Are we going to be able to sync
> pictures pretty soon ?

Thanks for the info about the address bug. I haven't had a chance to
look at that yet, but it's /almost/ next on my list.

Contact photo syncing is definitely on the roadmap, but I'm going to
need to look a bit more into it before I can give any kind of
estimation about which release it'll be in.

Cheers,

Michel Benita

Jun 10, 2009, 12:48:23 PM6/10/09
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just to let you know, photo syncing's already present in Spanning Sync
(VERY expensive and slow) and it works OK.
Also, as I'm using OTA syncing between Google and my iPhone, I notice
that photos added in Google transfer to the iPhone flawlessly.

Cheers
Michel

Peter Gilbert

Jun 10, 2009, 4:45:34 PM6/10/09
to syn...@googlegroups.com

Jeff Nichols

Jun 10, 2009, 5:00:52 PM6/10/09
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Excellent! Can't wait to throw away all the crufty address syncing
code I wrote for the first 1.3 beta. I'll get to work on this right
away. Thanks for the tip!

Jeff

Peter Gilbert

Jun 10, 2009, 5:02:22 PM6/10/09
to syn...@googlegroups.com
On second though, read the below -- i would't want your hard work ruined by gmails own web-based Contacts!!

http://groups.google.com/group/google-contacts-api/browse_thread/thread/dc3a7da215ccaa1e

--

Peter Gilbert | I.T. Consultant
____________________________

Jeff Nichols

Jun 10, 2009, 5:11:26 PM6/10/09
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Well that's certainly disappointing. I'll dig into this more later,
but it might be best if I wait to release Syncman 1.3 (with proper
address syncing) until that issue is worked out. We'll see how this
all shakes out.

Thanks again Peter... you're a real sleuth!

Jeff

Peter Gilbert

Jun 10, 2009, 5:18:46 PM6/10/09
to syn...@googlegroups.com
You may want to tell peep's to layoff using the webGUI due to it breaking the structured data -- and mention the Android issues as well.

good luck, i'll test it if you want.