Support for new Google Contacts API

Michael J. Sonntag

Jun 24, 2009, 1:08:39 PM6/24/09
to Syncman
I keep reading about the new Google Contacts API for syncing - will
this be something you'll be supporting in a future beta?

Jeff Nichols

Jun 24, 2009, 1:13:44 PM6/24/09
to syn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

I've now got all fields (and I mean *all* fields... everything that's
available in Address Book) syncing apart from groups and photos. I'll
need to do a bit more testing, but then I can push out a new beta.

There likely will be some limitations in that beta. For example,
editing a name or address in Gmail currently destroys any structure to
that data. Google's working on making that better, but until then I
need to come up with my own workaround, which certainly won't be
perfect.

Cheers,
Jeff

--
Jeff Nichols
Wateree Software

Peter Gilbert

Jun 24, 2009, 1:57:06 PM6/24/09
to syn...@googlegroups.com, Syncman
It's all fine and dandy that google implemented these discreet/
structured fields in their API, but until they implement it in gmail's
webGUI, we're all out of luck with this working flawlessly if you ever
use the web interface - it will break the structure of the data.
(wow! Didn't realize that was all one sentence!)

I'm sure they're thinking: how do we implement this without screwing x
million number of users?

--
Pete

On Jun 24, 2009, at 1:08 PM, "Michael J. Sonntag" <michael...@gmail.com

Jeff Nichols

Jun 24, 2009, 2:11:54 PM6/24/09
to syn...@googlegroups.com
> I'm sure they're thinking: how do we implement this without screwing x
> million number of users?

Indeed. I'm also quite curious. They say they're going to offer some
parsing based on heuristics, and there's certainly nobody better to do
this than Google, but it's not there yet. Like I said before, I'll
try to get a new beta out quick that uses the new structured data, for
those here that understand what the 'problem' is, since I must say
that it's pretty nice syncing all these fields. ;-)