National Geographic Photo Book

Arleen Smelko

Jul 25, 2024, 11:28:38 PM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to synchbartsunoun

The National Geographic Society is a global nonprofit organization that uses the power of science, exploration, education and storytelling to illuminate and protect the wonder of our world. Since 1888, National Geographic has pushed the boundaries of exploration, investing in bold people and transformative ideas, providing more than 15,000 grants for work across all seven continents, reaching 3 million students each year through education offerings, and engaging audiences around the globe through signature experiences, stories and content. To learn more, visit www.nationalgeographic.org or follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

It did not take long to take the winning photograph of the World National Geographic Photo 2012: one-seventh of a second (1/7 s in photographic terms), almost the same time it took me to lose the prize.

I lunged to the computer and sent a mail to Monica Corcoran, editor of the magazine, arguing that a crop, perfectly allowed by the rules, would have done away with the object without further alterations, the bag would have melted with a slight burning-darkening, that it was unnecessary to remove anything digitally (the rule that bans deleting or adding tries to safeguard the spirit or nature of the photograph. Here the nature nor spirit of the original photo was not altered) and, most of all, that the minimal, slight modification did not alter the picture.

I have the consolation of knowing that, with or without the bag, this picture is mine. And, worst of all, a very expensive lesson learned: in an event of this importance there is no room for interpretation. The competition is the competition and the rules are strictly enforced.

Harry Fisch is a travel photographer who founded Nomad Photo Expeditions in 2011. The Winner of the 2012 World National Geographic photo contest in the Places Category and later disqualified due to editing-out a plastic bag (read the post (read the post How I won and lost the National Geographic contest in less than one second").

Harry Fisch's work has been published in various prestigious web photography sites such as Lens Culture, Maptia, Ephotozine, to name a few. He contributes to International Photography Magazines as SLR Lounge, Lightstalking, Digital Photography school, Extraordinary Vision Magazine, (USA), Photography Week, Digital World (UK), Fotgrafo Digital(Spain), and several other.

His interest in the photography of localities and cultural realities has seen him travel through the "Golden Triangle" area between Laos, Burma and Thailand, the camel fair of Pushkar in India, visiting the famous temples of Bagan in Myanmar or spending days in the lost salt mines in the desert of the Kutch. Mongolia, Cuba, Ethiopia, Myanmar, Senegal, Japan, are just an example of the destinations - more than 50 countries - that Harry Fisch has documented and later included on many itinerary of his photo tours.

Harry Fisch designs the photographic tours from the human perspective; looking for different locations, sometimes a nearby residence, or attending an event, accepting an invitation that can make contact between the traveler and the people the photographer more real and personal.

After years of traveling, has come to the conclusion that technique and vision are indispensable tools, but that empathy, curiosity, pleasure through personal relationships are the determinants which enable photography to transmit so much more than a post card.

The Senior Photo Editor for National Geographic develops, pitches, and produces compelling visual stories across platforms, including NationalGeographic.com and our app, our print magazines, and social media. Leveraging an extensive global network of photographers and passion for diverse approaches, you will produce and assign stories that are evocative and rich in detail. Your dedication to researching imagery will be evident in your meticulous and passionate approach to finding the perfect visual elements to accompany any story. As you collaborate with photographers, writers, text editors, video producers, and designers, you will leverage diverse talents to create powerful visual stories that are the cornerstone of National Geographic.

Your refined taste and innovative approach will redefine our visual storytelling, with an emphasis on pushing boundaries in the digital space and setting new standards for multiplatform visual journalism. By mentoring entry and mid-level visual editors, you will help cultivate a highly effective team that creates content across platforms that connects with our audiences and yields expert, sophisticated stories aligned with National Geographic's focus on subjects like archaeology, wildlife, science and health, technology, and beyond. Your passion for photography will embody our commitment to excellence in visual storytelling. Through the power of photography, you will inspire and illuminate the wonders of our world.

National Geographic Content is devoted to illuminating the wonder of our world and inspiring people to protect it through our storytelling across platforms, including television and film in linear and streaming, print and digital experiences, and social media, where we have more followers than any other brand in the world. The National Geographic Editorial team is responsible for engaging both new and existing audiences through the creation and distribution of best-in-class content for our magazines (National Geographic, National Geographic Kids and Little Kids, National Geographic History, and single-topic newsstand specials), digital platforms (NationalGeographic.com and our app), and social accounts. We work across all media types, including photography, video, text, graphics and data visualization, cartography, and interactive digital experiences. Our primary aim is to use our storytelling to drive growth in followers, engaged newsletter audiences, subscribers, and loyal users who stay with us because they love how we inspire, entertain, and inform them.

National Geographic Partners PAY SVC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney champions a business environment where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a constantly evolving world.

The Walt Disney Company and its Affiliated Companies are Equal Employment Opportunity employers and welcome all job seekers including individuals with disabilities and veterans with disabilities. If you have a disability and believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or apply for a position, email Candidate.Ac...@Disney.com with your request. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or correspondence. We will only respond to those requests that are related to the accessibility of the online application system due to a disability.

Job CategorySelect a Job CategoryAdministrationAnimation and Visual EffectsArchitecture and DesignAsset ManagementBankingBuilding, Construction and FacilitiesBusiness Strategy and DevelopmentCall CenterCommunicationsCreativeCulinaryData PlatformData Science and AnalyticsEngineeringFinance and AccountingFood and BeverageGovernmental AffairsGraphic DesignHealth ServicesHorticulture and LandscapingHotel and ResortsHuman ResourcesLegal and Business AffairsMaritime and Cruise OperationsMarketing and Digital MediaMerchandisingOperationsProductionProject ManagementPublishingQuality AssuranceResearch and DevelopmentRetail OperationsSalesSciences and Animal ProgramsSecuritySocial ResponsibilitySports and RecreationStage ProductionsSupply Chain ManagementTalentTechnologyTheme Park Operations