GSoC2023 Introduction

Pedro Xavier

Mar 31, 2023, 10:05:52 AM3/31/23
to sympy
Hello everyone from the community,

My name is Pedro, I'm a fourth year control engineering student in France and I'm studying the ideas for my application. I thought I should introduce myself in here since I hope we'll be working together during the summer and beyond.

I'd also like to use this opportunity to better understand the format of the program itself. Although I've read through the instructions and the FAQ, here are some questions whose answers I either missed or couldn't find:

1. Can more than one proposal regarding the same project be accepted?
Parsing through the ideas page, I've selected a few that have caught my eye. These ideas in particular seemed to be a better fit for my profile and are some things I'd be interested in working on. I also remember seeing them being discussed by peers in the forum and thus the question arose: are these submissions mutually exclusive? That is, is a single proposal for each idea going to be selected?

2. Can I include multiple goals form different topics as to what I want to achieve?
For example, could I say that I'd like to both work on the control package and to fix bugs in the classic mechanics packages? Would that affect the quality of my proposal?

Aaron Meurer

Mar 31, 2023, 7:09:22 PM3/31/23
to sy...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 8:05 AM Pedro Xavier <pedroxa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone from the community,
>
> My name is Pedro, I'm a fourth year control engineering student in France and I'm studying the ideas for my application. I thought I should introduce myself in here since I hope we'll be working together during the summer and beyond.
>
> I'd also like to use this opportunity to better understand the format of the program itself. Although I've read through the instructions and the FAQ, here are some questions whose answers I either missed or couldn't find:
>
> 1. Can more than one proposal regarding the same project be accepted?
> Parsing through the ideas page, I've selected a few that have caught my eye. These ideas in particular seemed to be a better fit for my profile and are some things I'd be interested in working on. I also remember seeing them being discussed by peers in the forum and thus the question arose: are these submissions mutually exclusive? That is, is a single proposal for each idea going to be selected?

Yes, this can happen. In that case we will generally work with the
applicants to make sure the work is separate from each other. Many of
the projects listed on the ideas page have quite a bit of work that
needs to be done on them so there is definitely enough there for
multiple projects.

> 2. Can I include multiple goals form different topics as to what I want to achieve?
> For example, could I say that I'd like to both work on the control package and to fix bugs in the classic mechanics packages? Would that affect the quality of my proposal?

You should focus on a single project. Of course many projects will
involve working on code from different modules, but it's best if your
proposal focuses on a single coherent goal.

Aaron Meurer