How to Work with the SymPy Community

Kevin Moore

May 20, 2022, 5:36:01 PM5/20/22
to sympy
Hello! My name is Kevin, and I'm working on a new SymPy based application. I've gotten far enough that I'm running into some interesting SymPy problems, and I'm looking for some guidance on how to work with the SymPy community to learn about and address these issues.

Is there any sort of "SymPy partner" program to support development work (with a focus on some particular topics I want to address, for example)? I've included a couple examples of things I ran into below; I look forward to working with you (and maybe even helping contribute to the SymPy code base at some point!)

Best regards,
Kevin

Issues I've Encountered:

I'm using parse_latex() to convert LaTEX into SymPy, but it looks like some relational expressions still convert to "True" (e.g. "2+2=4" or "2^3=8"). I noticed that some were fixed last October. Who's the best person to contact about this code and how to pick things up where they left off?

I'm having trouble with domains and solveset(). In particular, many of my solutions are ending up with Intersect(Reals, <the solution I want>). When I add an assertion (real=True) on the variable, solveset() returns EmptySet - I see that the documentation says that assertions don't work yet.

Is this a good place to post about these sort of things? Or should I post on github/sympy instead?

Aaron Meurer

May 20, 2022, 6:44:04 PM5/20/22
to sy...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 3:36 PM Kevin Moore <kevi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello! My name is Kevin, and I'm working on a new SymPy based application. I've gotten far enough that I'm running into some interesting SymPy problems, and I'm looking for some guidance on how to work with the SymPy community to learn about and address these issues.

Is there any sort of "SymPy partner" program to support development work (with a focus on some particular topics I want to address, for example)? I've included a couple examples of things I ran into below; I look forward to working with you (and maybe even helping contribute to the SymPy code base at some point!)

We don't have such a program. Maybe we should reach out to NumFOCUS to see if any other projects have done similar things that we can emulate.

Best regards,
Kevin

Issues I've Encountered:

I'm using parse_latex() to convert LaTEX into SymPy, but it looks like some relational expressions still convert to "True" (e.g. "2+2=4" or "2^3=8"). I noticed that some were fixed last October. Who's the best person to contact about this code and how to pick things up where they left off?

It looks like this works if you wrap it in a "with evaluate(False)" block.

Regarding who to contact, I'm not sure. I would open an issue about this. If you want to CC people you can look at who has contributed to the latex parsing module recently.

I'm having trouble with domains and solveset(). In particular, many of my solutions are ending up with Intersect(Reals, <the solution I want>). When I add an assertion (real=True) on the variable, solveset() returns EmptySet - I see that the documentation says that assertions don't work yet.

solveset() and the sets in general don't work with the assumptions, yes. It would help if you could give an example of an equation you are solving and the result you would like to see.

Is this a good place to post about these sort of things? Or should I post on github/sympy instead?

The issue tracker would be better since these are things that should be improved in SymPy. The issue tracker lets us keep track of the issue so we don't forget it.

Aaron Meurer