IexFinder: Interactive calculation of extreme values with SymPy and Voila

Zoufiné Lauer-Baré

Nov 3, 2021, 5:29:18 AM11/3/21
to sympy

Dear All,

 I wanted to share with you a web application based on Juypter and Voila to calculate the extreme values of multivariate functions (two variables) symbolically.

The extreme values are found and characterized, i.e. min, max, saddle or not classifiable by analyzing the eigenvalues of the Hessian.

It is based mathematically on SymPy and NumPy and graphically on Jupyter Notebook, Plotly and Voila.

It can be used with cell phones, tablets and PCs with binder, without registration or installation!

Code in

I attached a screenshot of the web application GUI. The IexFinder is mainly for students and lectureres. Lecturers can analyze quickly multivariate functions that they find on the web or in textbooks, before starting detailed Pen & Paper work.

I am looking forward to hearing your feedback!

Regards,

Zoufiné

exFinder_usage.PNG

Chris Smith

Nov 5, 2021, 1:39:38 AM11/5/21
to sympy
If we don't have something like this in calculus yet, this would be a good addition. It would be a good complement to the 1-D functions for computing critical points.

I also left some comments on the Issue that you opened.

/c

Zoufiné Lauer-Baré

Nov 5, 2021, 2:54:50 AM11/5/21
to sy...@googlegroups.com

OK! Thank you for the feedback. I'll comment in the issue conversation, too.