Announcing Algebra_with_SymPy release V1.0.0...

gu...@uwosh.edu

Jan 2, 2024, 9:54:25 PMJan 2
to sympy
I am pleased to announce the first non-beta version of Algebra_with_SymPy. This extension to SymPy is designed to make it convenient to do symbolic math in a step-by-step manner that resembles what you would do on paper as closely as possible. Some features are:
  • SymPy does all the symbolic manipulations so one can more easily avoid careless errors such as dropped signs or symbols.
  • Supports the concept of an equation with a lhs and rhs connected by an equals sign, that does not collapse to True or False as SymPy Equalities can.
  • Produces typeset output or simultaneous code and typeset output.
  • Defaults to interpreting numbers without decimals as exact integers (this can easily be switched on and off).
  • Easily incorporates substitution of numbers with units for computation of final values after a symbolic equation has been solved.
  • I use it a lot to create detailed answer keys for the courses I teach (college level chemistry, advanced thermodynamics and quantum mechanics).
  • I have used it with students as part of an electronic laboratory notebook, where they must record any symbolic math they do, in addition to other laboratory record keeping.
  • In a Jupyter or IPython environment this tool can be used as the symbolic equivalent of a calculator that keeps a nice record of all manipulations performed.
Comments and requests for functionality welcome.

phi ARCHITECT

Jan 3, 2024, 1:57:20 PMJan 3
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Just want to give you a quick heads up - this looks awesome!

Will set some time aside to test it out.

gu...@uwosh.edu

Jul 5, 2024, 12:27:54 PMJul 5
to sympy
Announcing bugfix release v.1.0.2 for Algebra with Sympy. This one solves some display issue problems specific to Google Colab. If you use Colab you should update.

gu...@uwosh.edu

Jul 22, 2024, 12:09:47 PM (3 days ago) Jul 22
to sympy
I am pleased to announce Algebra_with_Sympy release 1.1.0. This is recommended for all users. The key changes are:
  • Setting integers as exact (set_integers_as_exact(), the default) now only sets integers as exact within Sympy and Algebra_with_Sympy expressions. This increases compatibility with other packages that depend on integers being Python integers. Unlike plain vanilla Sympy it is possible to use this setting in a python session with packages where numeric integer symbols (1, 2, 3...) are used for array indexing in non-sympy expressions.
  • Refuse to import Algebra_with_Sympy if an incompatible version of Sympy is installed in the environment.
  • Added warning explaining how to install a compatible version of Sympy.
Note that Algebra_with_Sympy currently supports Sympy v1.12.1. Support for Sympy v1.13.1 will be in a future release (soon, I hope).